Positive wire????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Positive wire????

I posted an electrical system question a while back. Everyone on the sire recomended to check the fuseable like wire from the alt to the batt. Ok, as I checked I noticed that the last owner redid some of the wiring. Here is my question..... Should there be a large POSITIVE wire that runs from the rear of the alt (The + Plug) to the positive side of the batt??? I dont seem to have that wire. My alt wires are as follows: field wire to teh field of voltage reg, sensing wire to the sensing of the voltage reg, and a larg red wire from the positive sige of the alt not leading to the batt. It was cut and connected to a thin wire leading to the firewall. ???? I always thought there was always a thick positive wire from the positive side of the alt to the positive side of the batt. please advise. does anyone have a diagram?
    Vehicle: 1965 Pontiac Catalina (fastback 2+2)
    Chasis: 1982 Ford LTD Country Squire
    Drivetrain: 302 V8 carb, AOD, 8.8 with 3.08 gears.
    Big Brake swap and front suspension completed.
    sigpic

Uh, what was wrong with the diagrams Tiggie and I posted? If you have an external voltage regulator (it'll look like the pic below and should be near the washer fluid reservoir), those diagrams should set you straight.

Linky: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...t=19887&page=2

2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by 82LTDQS View Post
      ..... Should there be a large POSITIVE wire that runs from the rear of the alt (The + Plug) to the positive side of the batt??? I dont seem to have that wire.
      no

...and a larg red wire from the positive sige of the alt not leading to the batt. It was cut and connected to a thin wire leading to the firewall. ????
      if you notice, the + wire on the battery goes to the same place that the large red wire goes to from the alternator. This thin wire going to the firewall is the fuse link, which sounds like has bee replaced once allready. Give it a tug and see if it pulls apart.
      Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
      'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
      sigpic
      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

UH, I know what the regulator looks like and I know where it is. I also know about the "F,S,A,I" extravaganza, but thats not what I asked. The diagram obviously didnt help if I "asked again" if anyone had a diagram. Thanks 85crown for answering my question. These wires are not oe. I do see one wire that goes from + on the batt to the firewall and from the + on the alt to the same hole in the firewall.
        sigpic

Comment

There will be an 8 or 10 ga wire running from the output stud on the alternator to the starter relay. The only car with this type alternator I've really seen under the hood of was an 84 Towncar, and the cable ran right across the front of the engine by the AC compressor and ran over to the passenger fender that way. Possible the routing for other years is different, but it should not run through the firewall unless for some reason your car has an amp gauge installed, and the alternator is wired through it.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Wow, you right. It does have an aftermarket amp gauge. I didnt think about that. see, i have been having all kinds of problems wit the electrical system. dimming lights when wipers and/or blinkers are an and stuff like that. I think the past owner of the car cut the thick wire and used small wires to run the amp gauge please see my recent thread. "voltage please help."
            sigpic

Comment

Sounds like it. I'd get rid of that and run a new piece of 8 gauge from the alternator to the battery. Stick a 75-100 amp fuse in there and you should be good to go.
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by 82LTDQS View Post
                UH, I know what the regulator looks like and I know where it is. I also know about the "F,S,A,I" extravaganza, but thats not what I asked. The diagram obviously didnt help if I "asked again" if anyone had a diagram. Thanks 85crown for answering my question. These wires are not oe. I do see one wire that goes from + on the batt to the firewall and from the + on the alt to the same hole in the firewall.
                There is an infinity of CV/GM cars in the bone yards. snag a harness from another one and be done with it...... It will be the best 10 minutes you ever spent on your car....

Comment

On both my panthers I didn't have a "stud" for the positive alternator output. mine had/has a plug for the output. I would rather have the stud so I can upgrade the charging lead. I think by not being able to up grade It cost me points in competition. I have upgraded the charging wire on my 95 Explorer to 4 gauge from the alt stud output to the pos battery. I always do the big three upgrade.

Tim
                  2000 Ford Crown Victoria
                  84 Lincoln Town car signature, R.I.P
                  85 Ford LTD Crown Victoria 2 door performance project
                  89 Lincoln town car: RIP
                  89 Crown Victoria LX 2002 USACi sound quality world champion RIP
                  1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
                  1994 Mercury Grand Marquis (sold)
                  2004 Mercury Marauder. owned for a week then got screwed by the dealer

Comment

Originally posted by over2tonsofFun View Post
                    On both my panthers I didn't have a "stud" for the positive alternator output. mine had/has a plug for the output. I would rather have the stud so I can upgrade the charging lead. I think by not being able to up grade It cost me points in competition. I have upgraded the charging wire on my 95 Explorer to 4 gauge from the alt stud output to the pos battery. I always do the big three upgrade.

Tim
                    his alt has a stud, he has an early alt........why dont you install a 3ag altenator on your towny?......easy upgrade

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Ah, now I see why you weren't liking the diagrams of the factory wiring. Might have helped to mention you had an ammeter on the car ...... that sort of changes a couple of important details!
                      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Tim
                        1985 and older, as well as InstaClear models with the 100 amp alternator used an external regulator and an output stud. The 86-91 65 amp internally regulated piece of junk has the plugs. Both types are fairly easy to retrofit to the 3g type 130 amp alternator with the output stud if you need more power.

Comment

I actually want to upgrade the towncar as I am wanting to do a 5.1 surround system in it. with at least 1200w for the subs. about 100w-150w for the rest.

Tim
                          2000 Ford Crown Victoria
                          84 Lincoln Town car signature, R.I.P
                          85 Ford LTD Crown Victoria 2 door performance project
                          89 Lincoln town car: RIP
                          89 Crown Victoria LX 2002 USACi sound quality world champion RIP
                          1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
                          1994 Mercury Grand Marquis (sold)
                          2004 Mercury Marauder. owned for a week then got screwed by the dealer

Comment

I actually want to upgrade the towncar as I am wanting to do a 5.1 surround system in it. with at least 1200w for the subs. about 100w-150w for the rest.

Tim
                            just do a 3ag conversion, it's all the power you need, if youre poor you can get a 3ag out of a 3.0 ford taurus or a v6 mustang or a 94-95 gt

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                            2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                            1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                            1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                            2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                            1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

I hate ammeters!!!!! ...that wire that way...
                              Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                              'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                              sigpic
                              85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Working...
                              X