wire harness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wire harness

can a wiring harness from a '98 Ford Explorer 5.0 302 v8 be used on my 87 country squire

Depends; what do you want to use it for? Nothing wrong with swapping over the Explorer engine harness, but you'll have to also swap over the distributorless ignition parts, etc.
    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

sure it can, if you also swap over everything thats plugged into it...
      Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
      'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
      sigpic
      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

not easilly......98 exploder is eecV which has sensors in the gas tank and extra evap canisters with sensors and distributorless ign, also the intake points the wrong way, and the accys are different

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Yay for multitudinous unnecessary evacuative emissions sensors!!!

Comment

Can be? yes. Should be? no way. Way too much wiring work to be practical.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

ok thanks

Comment

With all those extra sensors and junk a stand alone like mega squirt or an AEM stand alone would be best.
                R.I.P Linsey Nelson

'04 M75-"Chocolate Rain" - mid 13 beast
                Originally posted by MeanVic84
                Chocolate Rain. Some stay dry and others feel the pain.

Comment

EEC-V uses a 104 pin connector, EEC-IV uses a 60. Not a direct swap.
                  sigpic
                  https://www.facebook.com/jason.baker.1614
                  1985 P43 Crown Vic, "Lightning Interceptor". Project is back on!
                  1987 P72 Crown Vic, EFI 351W (not my conversion), rusty and crusty parts car.
                  2006 Ford Fusion, 30MPG, premium sound, daily driver, 200K miles and still going.
                  2011 Ford Fucus, 36MPG, Sync, wifey / baby mobile.

Comment

That's a lot of wires an injected car runs just fine without!

Comment

It's quite different, most of the connectors are different and the components are in different locations. More trouble than it's worth, unless you are going OBD-II, which would be pretty cool. Also remember explorers did not use a distributor, so all of that wiring will have to be cut out of the old harness....

I've got 2 87-89 vic harnesses and a 96 explorer harness...
                      Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd View Post
                        It's quite different, most of the connectors are different and the components are in different locations. More trouble than it's worth, unless you are going OBD-II, which would be pretty cool. Also remember explorers did not use a distributor, so all of that wiring will have to be cut out of the old harness....
                        You're not a fan of the later distributorless ignition system, then?

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                          You're not a fan of the later distributorless ignition system, then?
                          Actually, I am kicking myself now for not going with the later EEC-V OBD-II setup. Would have been much more fun to play with. I'm just stating that the new harness is not an easy swap onto an old EEC-IV computer and sensors.
                          Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

OBD II is a lot more flexible and easy to diagnose than the old EEC IV stuff. Lots of wiring though. Distributorless is nice, should actually be able to get a longer and hotter spark out of it since the coil isn't discharging 4 times a revolution, it only discharges once every turn (waste spark). Lots more time to charge up that way.
                            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

You know, I never thought of that advantage of distributorless ignition. Makes me more tempted to try it on a future project.

Comment

Working...
                              X