82 fox mustang Q

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 fox mustang Q

so this is the sitch... my buddy and i picked up a 82 fox t-top to build up since he got a good deal on a t-boned 86 witch has a redone motor and 5-speed and a whole lot more. but any way 2 weeks ago i got it running properly since the timing was fucked( 302 with holley 600 4bbl) we were driving it around and what not sut it off and re-started it a couple times with no probs at all, then the next day i go to fire it up it wouldnt fire, it wants to but jus wont, its a bit better when you use quick start but no go. it almost went a few times...this car is pissing me off, ive checked everything, spark, fuel etc...what can be wrong?

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
    1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
    1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
    2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
    2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

If you are running the stock duraspark II ignition system that came on that car, the silver ignition box that hooks up to the distributor is probably dead. Either that, or you used the 82 distributor in the 86 motor, and disintegrated the distributor gear because you were supposed to install the steel dist. gear from the 86 motor onto the 82 distributor...the stock roller cams chew up the old iron 82 gears.

Comment

my Grand Marquis did this...times it would start fine, times it didnt wanna do anything but act like it was gonna start. i changed plugs and wires since they were bad. come to find out there was rust on the tip of the coil where the wire plugs to also. as pirate said, could be distributor that you might have to check, the duraspark box, or when did it last have wires and such done on it?
      Last edited by 87_crown_vic; 11-24-2007, 12:54 AM.
      Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

check the duraspark module and wiring
        are the plugs fouled?

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Make sure that your dampener timing marks are legible. Pull the top of your distributor off and turn the engine over until the rotor points at the #1 Cyl wire. Look at where the timing pointer is pointed to on the dampener. That will eliminate timing chain as a potential problem. If you have spark, then your module is ok but your coil may not be. Does gas shoot from the accelerator pump nozzles when you open the throttle blades? Did you try dumping an ounce or so of fuel down the carb?

Comment

we havent done any swapping yet so the 82 is just how we bought it. the carb is fairly new, shoots gas, has new cap rotor wires plugs are new as well, they get wet real quick, but the coil shoots a ton of spark arnt the electronics in the dizzy just for advance purposes?

Comment

I'm still not clear on what distributor you're trying to run. Best bet for a carb'd car is frequently to use a Duraspark distributor; my experience is that the gears don't interchange with a TFI distributor due to having different shaft diameters, but you can easily buy a '79-'85 distributor with a steel gear already installed. Like the mang said, DO NOT attempt to run an iron-geared distributor with a steel roller cam. Having the electronics connected to your Duraspark distributor is critical because it's the little vaned thing spinning next to the inductive pickup that tells the Duraspark II box when to fire the coil.

I assume base timing is set to 10 to 14 degrees BTDC?
              2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

the 82 is still untouched its still has the duraspark system, i dunno if someone is screwing with the cars

Comment

i just dont know why one day it runs great, and the next day it dont fire up

Comment

Coil or timing (chain, dist gear, etc ) can do that.....

Comment

Distributor wasn't left loose and allowed to spin was it?
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

no it wasnt, that was the first thing i did

Comment

Working...
                        X