302/351 crank.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

302/351 crank.

The 2 door Vic I just bought has a 351 Windsor with a bad bottom end knock to it and has to be rebuilt. I think the crank may be damaged so what I want to know is are the cranks from a 302 and the Windsor the same? If they are I'll just use a 302 crank when I rebuild it.

Nope. 302 has a 3" stroke and 351 has a 3.5" stroke. Either get the one you have machined, or buy a new/good used one.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
    1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
    But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

Definitely not. The main journals are larger on the 351 crank as well. Usually if its a virgin crank it can be turned and used with an undersize bearing. If its trashed too far though, you'll be needing a crank kit.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yep, your machinist will be able to tell you about the crank's condition when you take it in. If journals are scored, no biggie - for a fee shops can either machine them slightly undersize and tell you what size main and rod bearings to order, and some offer an exchange service where for a comparable fee and less waiting you can swap your old crank for one that's ready to go.
        2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Since it is a running motor, the crank should be able to be turned just fine as you shouldn't have any spun bearings yet......
          All Ford small blocks from the 289 to the 400 share the same 4" bore. The crank stroke is what makes the difference. Rod length does not change stroke, only the crankshaft rod journal offset does.
          Last edited by Mercracer; 11-19-2007, 12:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X