Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rebuilding a 302

Whats up?

Im going to be pulling a 302 out of my crown vic tomorrow, and im going to take on the task of rebuilding it myself.

When I was in 9th grade, for my summer job I worked with my grandpa at a machine shop so I have some knowledge of how it is done, and what the process is.

Im getting a parts list together now of what all I am going to need.

I don't necessarily want to just get a complete rebuild kit, because I alrady have a set of rods with pistons and rings already together and ready to be put in.

So all I really need to get is new cam bearings, rod bearings, main bearings, brass freeze plugs, water pump, oil pump, gasket kit......

What im trying to figure out now is what bearings to go with. I know when I worked up at the machine shop we used Clevite 77 bearings.
    When I was looking around on summits website a little while ago, typed in clevite bearings for a 302. The searched showed me a few different series of bearings.

For example, the rod bearings had a P-Series a H-Series, and a V-Series. I noticed for the H series they had two different ones, one was coated and one wasn't. Also, I noticed that some were tri metal, some were TM-77, and some were Lead Indium.

I am unsure as to wich ones I need. Can some one explain to me what the difference is between these materials?

Also, the same thing goes for the Main bearings as well.
    They have a H-Series and a P-Series.

What brand do you prefer for push rods and lifters if I keep the stock rocker arms?

thanks for any info.

Justin
Working...
X