Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leave the AC alone.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

the looks like my old towncar *tear*

Comment

I got the Town Car so it is idling very well, no misses or anything, the only thing it is having trouble doing is starting. About every time I start I have to use a dab of starting fluid, but after that it will start and I will have to press the gas a bit to get it to start idling right. But once I do that it runs great. Kind of don't want to have to do that all the time :-X.

So far I have replaced
        - Distributor Cap
        - Distributor Rotor
        - Spark Plugs
        - Spark Plug Wire
        - Leaky Valve Cover Gaskets
        - Air Filter
        - PCV Valve
        - Battery (w/ the huge one I had in the LTD, just temporary though.)

I am going to change oil on Wednesday and replace fuel filter maybe Tuesday. Hell maybe the fuel filter will be tonight.

I don't know why it's so hard to start though, could the throttle body injectors be bad? But if that were the case, it shouldn't idle like it does?

Comment

Try pumping the gas pedal once before cranking it. It will set the high idle and it should be slightly easier to start. Could be the high idle system isn't working right too. There is a black hockey puck looking thing on the side, looks just like an electric choke element. This runs a high idle cam that allows for easier starting. If thats not working, it will be hard starting.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yes, I have tried pumping it before starting, and that didn't work. I should probably see fuel squirt down when I pump? I will have to look in the morning.

Comment

No, you won't see any fuel squirting when you pump the gas--you're thinking of a carburetor, which you don't have.

Incidentally, my mom's old '85 GM had a problem where it wouldn't start without a little shot of ether, and we fought with it for a long time before we discovered that it was a bad TPS. Dunno if that's likely to be your problem or not, but the symptoms sounded virtually the same, so it's something to check out.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
              1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
              But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

try holding the pedal down half way, then crank it over at the same time, i know somtimes after my 2 mercs get warmed up, they can be a bitch to start, so i just put my foot to the floor and turn the key, and they fire up

Comment

Originally posted by Nathan in MN View Post
                  No, you won't see any fuel squirting when you pump the gas--you're thinking of a carburetor, which you don't have.

Incidentally, my mom's old '85 GM had a problem where it wouldn't start without a little shot of ether, and we fought with it for a long time before we discovered that it was a bad TPS. Dunno if that's likely to be your problem or not, but the symptoms sounded virtually the same, so it's something to check out.
                  It was bad TPS, thanks! I finally scanned for codes. I didn't know you could scan for codes without a code scanner. (Thanks Gadget)

I unplugged the sensor and it started right up, tomorrow I am going to get the sensor. Me so happy now.

I also got code 95 and 96

95 -- Fuel pump secondary circuit failure. The EEC senses infinite resistance to ground from the fuel pump on the Fuel Pump Monitor circuit.

96 -- Fuel pump secondary circuit failure. The EEC did not sense battery voltage on the Fuel Pump Monitor circuit.

Makes no sense for those two codes like Scott told me in AIM since the car can run, and the fuel pump is only two wires (pos and neg). If that was not functioning the car would not run. Also maybe I counted wrong on the light flashes. I guess I will check again tomorrow after I get new TPS.

Comment

She running good now?

Comment

Working...
                    X