Possible Vacuum leak???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possible Vacuum leak???

Ok, back to driving the LTD again. I'm having trouble with the engine light. Is this a possible vacuum leak? The car runs perfect but the light will come on and go off. If you step on the accelerator, the light goes off but if your are idling at a stop light, the engine light sometimes illuminates. I have checked all fluids and everything. The car is doing great. The engine runs just like it should so that's not an issue. Any ideas guys???

1981 Ford LTD Crown Vic (FOR SALE!)
    1979 Pontiac Firebird

your 81 has the "replace engine" light... its not computer controlled at all. Im thinking your oil pressure is low at idle... as long as its going off as soon as you acellerate, you have many happy years left
    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Do you have an oil pressure gauge? Like Pete said, textbook low oil pressure symptoms.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
      1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
      But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

I do have one but never have gotten around to installing the gauge yet. What causes this?

1979 Pontiac Firebird

Comment

Sounds like the engine's just getting worn out...was it abused at some point in its life (lack of oil changes and such)? How many miles are on the car?

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

Worn out bearings is usually the low pressure problem. Usually its also accompanied by that wonderful knocking noise on a cold start, and bearing noises if the engine is under no load around 1500-2000 rpm when hot. Just a side note, if the engine is idling way too low, it can also make the pressure go too low. Idle in gear should be like 650 rpm or so.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

It never was abused. The car has always been well maintained. It just rolled over to 116K. Sometimes I'll get that little knock on cold startups but then it goes away. Hopefully the engine isn't in any immediate danger but if it goes, I guess it's time for a 460.

1979 Pontiac Firebird

Comment

It's probably not in any immediate danger, considering all the stories you hear about guys running the things with virtually no oil pressure at all, and doing so for extended periods of time. That said, what weight of oil are you running? Could bump that pressure up a bit with some heavier oil, though there's another school of thought that says low oil pressure means there's lots of oil flow. I'd say there's something to that.

I don't know what you had in mind for this engine, but I wouldn't plan on anything too drastic...might as well start with a healthy bottom end before you play with the top end.

Comment

Yeah, I'll probably bump it up with something a little heavier. I'm currently running 10W-30. That makes me feel a little better to know that it's not in any immediate danger. I'm not up to an engine swap at this time.

1979 Pontiac Firebird

Comment

Doesn't really matter if it was abused. Lopo 302s usually either start with the knocking dead bearings around 120k, or they run for ages with perfect oil pressure. Doesn't seem to be much in between. It has to do with the firing order wearing the mains, I think the #3 is the one that takes the pounding. Just keep oil in it, and don't bounce it off the end of the tach, and it'll run for quite a while like that.
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

my 2 door that i am having an engine built for was like you car. after it warmed up the engine light would come on at idle but be gone as soon as you touched the accelerator. low and behold the oil pump or something went out on my way home from werk and i am just having an engine put in that i will like in it. my 2 door had heads redone but lower was never redone so the lower components failed. car had heads redone before i bought it. i would be careful and if the light comes on and stays on all the time ... shut it off and get a tow
                      Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

i've had a really quiet knock on the 86 that goes away slightly when warmed up. been beating the shit out of it for 6 years that way.

does it kinda sound like a diesel?
                        Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by cld783 View Post
                          i've had a really quiet knock on the 86 that goes away slightly when warmed up. been beating the shit out of it for 6 years that way.

does it kinda sound like a diesel?

Not really. Mine doesn't make much of a knock at all. It's so quiet that you have to really listen close to hear it. It only does it for about 3 seconds on a cold startup and then it quits as the car warms up.

1979 Pontiac Firebird

Comment

Yeah, you're probably hearing the mains knocking a little bit. My Lincoln does that from time to time. 178,000 miles and about 5 psi oil pressure at hot idle with 5W30.

Comment

tsk, you should be using at least a 10w30 per the factory documentation.

Comment

Working...
                              X