Head Gasket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Head Gasket?

Hi everyone, I am a long time reader and box panther fan (my family is on number 3 and 1 78 marquis). I have a question regarding the head gasket. My car has just recently started to show milky substance on the bottom of the dipstick. Being a family that has had more 3.8 liter Ford Tauruses and Mercury Sables than I can count, we know our head gasket signs. There is a very very slight drop in coolant but no extreme smoke pouring out of the tailpipe. Further (and i assume this is just air in the cooling system) there is audible bubbling when i open the hood after driving it about. Please someone tell me is is not my head gasket.
    Jim K
    1991 Grand marquis (HO Conv. in Progress)(MARK)
    1978 Marquis For Sale (RUBY)
    1997 Mercury Mountaineer

It could be the head gaskets, intake gaskets or timing cover gaskets. The bubbling is a sign of overheating or excess pressure.
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

could be the intake gasket, the head gaskets or the timing cover gaskets getting water in the oil......do not drive it if the oil is milky.......looks for signs of leakage on the outside of the intake, usually a good sign the intake gasket has worn out

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

I've also seen the EGR cooler gasket fail, which makes the motor drink some coolant. Might want to open up the throttle body and see if you notice signs of crusty coolant inside. The head gaskets don't fail all that often, but it is possible. Compression check would tell you.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

ive pegged my 250* temp gauge twice and sprayed nitrous into the motor after both times and have not blown a head gasket
          http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
          http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

i am guessing intake gaskets, EGR gasket, timing chain gasket. i have pegged the temp needle before on a temporary CV i had. it didnt blow a head gasket, but it led me to changing the EGR hoses since one of them was shot. the engine seemed to loosen its lifters it had sticking. i would suggest a pressure check and tracking down the leak. it is more than likely the intake, timing chain cover, or egr spacer gasket that is bad or all of them. wouldnt be a bad thing to just replace them anyway if they are all original from factory along with changing all hoses(upper and lower radiator hoses, bypass hose, heater core hoses, egr spacer hoses.
            Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

With regard to the intake, what portion should I check. Up by the throttle body I assume? I've never really pulled the intake off of my car. Where does coolant flow up there except the throttle body to EGR spacer and EGR spacer to upper intake?
              1991 Grand marquis (HO Conv. in Progress)(MARK)
              1978 Marquis For Sale (RUBY)
              1997 Mercury Mountaineer

Comment

there is a passage at the front corner, and dead heads on the back corners of the lower manifold. The passages up front connect it to the thermostat housing. Usually if the intake gasket has failed, you'll see coolant bubbling around one of the corners of the intake.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

usually the lower intake goes out on the front side or the rear. if you install new gaskets in it....use Permatex Ultra Black gasket sealer. make sure you get enough in the corners. still be good idea to replace other hoses also
                  Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

Working...
                  X