No announcement yet.

Shopping for a new engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yeah, I'm inclined to agree. Who built the motor and how will dictate how much its really worth. If its someone just chucking parts into a clapped out old block, its not worth much. If it was done carefully with properly machined and clearanced parts, its worth 800.

High volume pumps on engines not modified to use them are a bad idea. They can actually starve the motor by pumping so much oil up top before it can drain back properly that the pan will run too low. The oil pressure will also be too high if the oil passages aren't enlarged to deal with it. It makes for more load on the distributor, and can possible tear up the gear or snap pump shafts if its not hardened to deal with the extra load.

"better rings and bearings" than what exactly? What materials and brand?

TRW pistons also means little. Stock HO pistons are forged TRW. They're not exactly special.

"202 160", wtf? valve sizes i'm guessing? in what heads?
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yup, dont think I'll go for it.
      sigpicVic Videos Here http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...676#post243676
      Vic's Reader's Rides Page http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=16917
      Vic's Cardomain page http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2532949
      1975 Chevy C-10 Cardomain http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3371894

Comment

Originally posted by Pirate View Post
        This sounds like somebody's peaky failed project. Completely the wrong cam for a boat.
        Sounds to me more like someone just doesn't give a damn enough to actually describe what they're trying to sell, and want someone to just write them a fat check for nothing. I seriously hate sellers like that ....
        2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

wrong valves for a panther too.....you want small valves in a 302 for velocity

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
            TRW pistons also means little. Stock HO pistons are forged TRW. They're not exactly special.
            TRW was a high quality piston manufacturer. The fact that Ford used them for OEM forged pistons speaks volumes. They are not a lightweight piston but they are a strong reliable forged piston. Factory HO pistons actually are kind of special. They can take all kinds of abuse. Upgrading from them doesn't need to be done for strength purposes. The only reason to do so would be if you wanted a lighter piston for extreme RPM use.
            It is too bad that TRW isn't around as an independent entity any more. Many of their pistons were discontinued when they were bought by Federal Mogul.... Federal Mogul screwed AMC and other owners also when they bought Speed Pro. More than just Ford pistons were discontinued.

Comment

Originally posted by Mercracer View Post
              TRW was a high quality piston manufacturer. The fact that Ford used them for OEM forged pistons speaks volumes. They are not a lightweight piston but they are a strong reliable forged piston. Factory HO pistons actually are kind of special. They can take all kinds of abuse. Upgrading from them doesn't need to be done for strength purposes. The only reason to do so would be if you wanted a lighter piston for extreme RPM use.

I know they make a good piston, however the fact that it has TRW pistons doesn't mean anything in particular. They could simply be worn out stock pistons with new rings, or they might be in good shape. I'd still be running mine if they fit the holes in the block. Dropping names doesn't mean much. It would be like me saying I have a Crane cam in my motor. I do. It also happens to be a stock Explorer cam, which makes it a whole lot less special sounding.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
              X