N2O on a 170K mile motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

N2O on a 170K mile motor

I was doing some cleaning and I came across a nitrous plate I designed/machined for a 5.0L Mustang way back when I was in machining school. A buddy of mine has an old NX wet kit I was going to throw on my bike. But I thought it would be fun to try it out on the wagon.

I know the mustangs can take a healthy dose, but I'm concerned about the cast pistons (though the lower CR helps) and the firing order stressing the bearings.

I'd like to try a 75-100 shot. Any advice?

Start saving for a new engine, if you spray it.
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

You could probably run a 50- to 75-shot for a while, but I by no means recommend it. As you said, the pistons are the weak link.
      The fuel system isn't setup for nitrous, it's gonna go dead lean @ WOT and that is where things get messy.
      1990 Country Squire - under restoration
      1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - daily beater

GMN Box Panther History
      Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
      Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
        You could probably run a 50- to 75-shot for a while, but I by no means recommend it. As you said, the pistons are the weak link.
        The fuel system isn't setup for nitrous, it's gonna go dead lean @ WOT and that is where things get messy.
        What's the weakest link in the fuel system?

Would a 255LPH Walbro and an AFPR help, or are the injectors too small for the motor alone?

Remember, this is a wet kit, I can set the fuel jet on the rich side.

-4* timing, and even a separate alcohol tank for the N2O fuel enrichment isn't a big deal.

I've got a full fab shop at my disposal, and 11 years of fab/tuning experience, though most of that is with SBCs, turbo'd imports and full out Mustangs. Never played with stock/mild 5.0s.

I've got a set of Holset WH1Cs sitting in my toolbox, either for a TT 4.6 Miata, or a 347 torque monster in the wagon. Though that project is 3-5 years away.

I'm just bored. And looking for a cheap boost.

Comment

The stock 14-lb injectors and stock fuel pump are the weak links in the fuel system.

I suggest an HO conversion for a cheap boost.

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

The stock 14-lb injectors and stock fuel pump are the weak links in the fuel system.

I suggest an HO conversion for a cheap boost.
            They're only 14pph ??!!!! JEEEEEEZZZZZ!!! I thought they were atleast 19#

I guess I'll have to invest in some 24# 'ers and a TWEECER first.

EDIT, about the HO conversion, what are the issues with stepping right up to a set of GT40P or Aluminum FPP GT40s? What uppers/lowers will work?
            Last edited by 00600; 11-11-2007, 07:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 00600 View Post
              EDIT, about the HO conversion, what are the issues with stepping right up to a set of GT40P or Aluminum FPP GT40s? What uppers/lowers will work?
              Yeah, the lo-pos got 14-lb injectors stock. HO's got 19's. I don't think you would have much problem stepping up to better heads than an E7TE, especially with something like a GT-40P. But when you start changing to something other than an HO cam, you'll need to look into a mass air conversion.

Pretty much all intakes designed for the '86-'93 Fox will work, granted you turn the upper one around. The exception might be that BBK SSI, not sure if it can be turned around or not. In case you don't already know, your current lower intake is the same as an HO.

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

Yeah, the lo-pos got 14-lb injectors stock. HO's got 19's. I don't think you would have much problem stepping up to better heads than an E7TE, especially with something like a GT-40P. But when you start changing to something other than an HO cam, you'll need to look into a mass air conversion.

Pretty much all intakes designed for the '86-'93 Fox will work, granted you turn the upper one around. The exception might be that BBK SSI, not sure if it can be turned around or not. In case you don't already know, your current lower intake is the same as an HO.
                Can the factory CAST GT40 (Explorer?) intake be turned around?

I want to stay away from huge cams, trying to keep a nice fat torque curve (<6,000RPM).

Comment

Originally posted by 00600 View Post
                  Can the factory CAST GT40 (Explorer?) intake be turned around?
                  Yes, I think several people on here have Explorer intakes intalled.

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

Yes, the exploder intake can be turned around.

Damn good intake!
                    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

You also need to watch out with cams on the stock pistons. Too much lift and you'll run into p2v problems.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                      X