Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Car doesn't start as well as I'd like it to...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car doesn't start as well as I'd like it to...

'88 TC, car sat for about eight months after it got into a bad accident, I start it several times a week now to keep things conditioned while I do my repairs. The motor itself was not damaged as far as I can tell.

I did a tuneup (plugs, wires, cap, rotor, oil change, fuel filter) on it maybe 5,000 miles prior to the accident. It's had four fuel pumps in it, the fourth being the one that's currently in it, a Bosch that's been serving its purpose well. The car sat without a front end, with the motor out in the open all fall and winter last year.

It runs perfectly, but I've found that the first time I start it after anywhere more than ~2 hours of sitting, it takes a lot of cranking - maybe five full seconds. That's way too long for me, and before the accident it never started as quickly as I'd prefer, but it was quicker than that. After it starts, for a split second it makes a couple sputtering noises, then it runs strong and healthily.

My starter has always had a sticky bendix, but lately it's been stickier which makes me figure it's only a matter of time until it conks out completely.

I also have a carb'd '85 F-150 I paid $200 for that is a completely piece of shit. However, one of its biggest redeeming factor is it ALWAYS starts, and if I pump the gas a couple times before starting it, often times I only have to flick the ignition key, and that's enough to get the thing running... oftentimes it starts so quickly I don't even hear the starter turn.

This is where I'd like some people's suggestions:

- Will one of those high-torque gear-reduction ministarters help my starting problem?
    - Could this old starter be one of the causes of my car not starting fast enough?
    - What else can I do to get it starting quicker?

My Townie, even though it's been through a lot recently, is an infinitely nicer vehicle than my truck... so why the hell can't it start as easily?

Get a battery with high Cold Cranking Amps, I use an optima red top, and a new starter probably wouldnt hurt either.

Comment

How high are we talking here? The battery I have in it isn't more than 2 months old (I don't remember when I bought it exactly) and it's rated at 850 CCA.

Comment

that battery is plenty enough, I'd check the cables for corrosion

Comment

Well I'm part-way through a 3g 150 amp alternator swap so that's soon to be taken care of. I've already installed a 2gauge negative cable. If I buy one of these high torque ministarters it looks like they come with new starter cables... so that'll solve that, if that's the problem.

I'm also thinking maybe an MSD ignition coil? I'm sure that'd help, since from everything I've read the stock coil is somewhat anemic. What about an MSD Blaster? I'm reading about them but I'm still fuzzy on what they do exactly. Do they replace any stock parts or is it an addition?

I'd just really like to make this car start with as little cranking as possible. It bothers me that it doesn't start as easily as my crappy old truck does.

Comment

here is another idea...try adjusting your timing. remember to pull the spout plug before making the adjustments. usually that will help the issue
            Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

Just check the timing, if its ok do not adjust it so its easier to start. If its off set it back to spec.

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.
              My rod is glowing, my bead is clean, my middle name is acetylene

Comment

You have dirty injectors.
                Any time you let a car sit for a time, as this one has, not getting regular use, varnish starts building up. Hell, even if the car was being driven daily, it would still be getting some varnish buildup, as those injectors get fuel boiled off towards the injector end when they sit for a while after a hot engine is shut off. This crud buildup will not allow injectors to give a good spray pattern, nor get enough fuel in there.

Another thought? Hook up a fuel pressure gauge to the fuel rail schrader valve, and watch fuel pressure after you shut the engine off. If it bleeds off fairly quickly, you may have an injector sticking open just a bit....this causes some grief when trying to refire it later. I have the same problem happening with my turd 93 exploder that will be leaving soon, it bleeds off pressure right after you shut it off. From what I can tell, the check valve in the pump isn't working...or an injector is hanging open.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirate View Post
                  You have dirty injectors.
                  Any time you let a car sit for a time, as this one has, not getting regular use, varnish starts building up. Hell, even if the car was being driven daily, it would still be getting some varnish buildup, as those injectors get fuel boiled off towards the injector end when they sit for a while after a hot engine is shut off. This crud buildup will not allow injectors to give a good spray pattern, nor get enough fuel in there.

Another thought? Hook up a fuel pressure gauge to the fuel rail schrader valve, and watch fuel pressure after you shut the engine off. If it bleeds off fairly quickly, you may have an injector sticking open just a bit....this causes some grief when trying to refire it later. I have the same problem happening with my turd 93 exploder that will be leaving soon, it bleeds off pressure right after you shut it off. From what I can tell, the check valve in the pump isn't working...or an injector is hanging open.
                  Very interesting stuff, Pirate. I kind of had a feeling that that might be contributing to it. It won't be getting a full tank of gasoline until I start driving it daily, so I'll wait on putting injector cleaner through it until then. Should hopefully only be a week or two if things keep going as planned. It sat for something like two years before I bought it also, so I bet that contributed to it even back when I drove it daily.

Now I've got some great ideas to start attacking this problem. Thanks a whole bunch guys!

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSteakJim View Post
                    Very interesting stuff, Pirate. I kind of had a feeling that that might be contributing to it. It won't be getting a full tank of gasoline until I start driving it daily, so I'll wait on putting injector cleaner through it until then. Should hopefully only be a week or two if things keep going as planned. It sat for something like two years before I bought it also, so I bet that contributed to it even back when I drove it daily.

Now I've got some great ideas to start attacking this problem. Thanks a whole bunch guys!
                    Are we talking about 'in-tank' injector cleaner?

It doesn't work.

In-tank stuff is of the "Wonder" product lineup in most auto parts stores, you 'wonder' why you bought them, because they never seem to work.

Only two ways of cleaning them....either directly via' chemicals, either on the car (fuel pump disabled), or off the car, vibratory cleaning. The stuff you buy from your local auto parts store doesn't work, you can't get a strong enough concentration in there without dissolving seals, filter material, and the fuel line itself.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirate View Post
                      The stuff you buy from your local auto parts store doesn't work, you can't get a strong enough concentration in there without dissolving seals, filter material, and the fuel line itself.
                      I dumped two bottles in with two gallons of gas while I was doing the body work on the wagon. It got lots of short, 30 second runs for about a month. When I sandblasted the rusty fuel lines they leaked so I had to replace them. That fuel was something serious. It burned my hand like concentrated H2SO4. My skin turned yellow. But it sure cleaned my fuel system out. The inside of the fuel lines looked like new and the injectors looked perfectly clean.
                      1990 Country Squire - under restoration
                      1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - daily beater

GMN Box Panther History
                      Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                      Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

I'd suggest swapping that fuel filter out again.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
                          I dumped two bottles in with two gallons of gas while I was doing the body work on the wagon. It got lots of short, 30 second runs for about a month. When I sandblasted the rusty fuel lines they leaked so I had to replace them. That fuel was something serious. It burned my hand like concentrated H2SO4. My skin turned yellow. But it sure cleaned my fuel system out. The inside of the fuel lines looked like new and the injectors looked perfectly clean.
                          Two bottles of what?

Comment

Yes what exactly?

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                              I'd suggest swapping that fuel filter out again.
                              Actually I just changed it like a month ago, with the installation of the last fuel pump.

Comment

Working...
                              X