Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Decided that I might be keeping it.. so now I need to work on it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Decided that I might be keeping it.. so now I need to work on it.

I pulled the air intake off and the TB was filthy. I mean I couldnt see metal, just soot and grime. so I know that my IAB is needing cleaning or replacment, and the EGR? (device connected to the intake right after the TB facing the front of the engine) needs it's pathways cleaned as well.

so is what I am thinking actually the EGR? or something else.

what is required to take the IAB off? I tried to get a socket in there, but there was other stuff in the way, not letting me get to it.

Thanks guys.

--------1996 Lincoln Town Car ---------------------------1986 Ford Crown Victoria----------

Move stuff, remove bolt. You don't have to take it off to clean it anyway. If the intake is that nasty, get some carb cleaner and spray it into the intake while it's running. Keep it at about 1700 rpm and spray it in bursts.
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

if it is full of oil from the blow by tube...get a PCV valve and a PCV valve screen that goes into the intake under the PCV. it looks like steel wool . if that is all clogged up, it will cause the oil blow by and shoot oil in to the intake.

the EGR is what you described on the front of the intake plenum, the IAC(idle air control) valve is located on back side of the throttle body. easiest way to get at it is with a wrench and disconnecting the throttle cable and moving it out of the way and disconnecting the IAC wiring. there are 2 nuts that hold the IAC on the throttle body. easiest way to test the IAC is to have car running at operating temp and unplugging the IAC while it is running. if idle drops to where it is almost stalling and when you plug it back in it raises up, it is werking correctly. hope that this helps and i would do what mrltd said to do to clean it up unless you wanna get a old toothbrush and scrub it in side at what you can reach then start it and shoot the cleaner in it as mrltd said.
      Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

OK after doing some work to it, cleaned the IAC, cleaned the TB and passages to the EGR, IAC, and a hose that goes to the oil filler cap area, I only have these codes now:

23, 34, and 92. these were pulled when car was just sitting there idleing.

I then took i for a drive, and when I parked it, I got 22, 23, and 34.

making progress?

should I be worried about 92? its saying it is runnign rich, but it didnt stay in memory. would it be a code that would only appear in KOER?

--------1996 Lincoln Town Car ---------------------------1986 Ford Crown Victoria----------

Comment

22 = map sensor out of range ... check vacuum or replace
          23 = tps needs adjusted or replaced
          34 = egr problem ... check to make sure it has vacuum or replace it
          92 = o2 sensors need replaced causing it to run rich

sounds to me like you have a vacuum proble and should check you lines for leaks. the running rich can be due to a vacuum leak, o2 sensors needing replaced, or both

Comment

Originally posted by 87_crown_vic View Post
            the running rich can be due to a vacuum leak, o2 sensors needing replaced, or both
            Or a faulty MAP sensor, too.
            1990 Country Squire - under restoration
            1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - daily beater

GMN Box Panther History
            Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
            Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

with all the codes being shown, it makes me think more of a vacuum problem and o2 sensors would be a good idea to replace also.

Comment

I would say the MAP problem is causing the rich condition. I wouldn't be concerned about the code 92 till you clear the MAP issue up. They do go bad sometimes. Its not that common but it happens. If you're near a junkyard, wander around and grab a few. New ones are like 50 bucks for a parts house one, don't know about a Ford one. TPS you can meter out fairly easily, I wrote a tech article over on LoL about it. If its shot, new ones are around 25 bucks.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                X