GOT 84 ON ROAD.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GOT 84 ON ROAD.

Got my 84 grandma on road. Its been bout a week now. changed out all plugs an wires, oil change and did a carb an fuel inject gas treatment. the problem is when i try an take off fast from a dead stop it seems like it wants to cut out but doesnt. once it gets its self together it goes on down the road. ???. do i new to clean carb itself?????????

HELP

THANKS

I think that's normal for these cars. It wouldn't hurt to clean the carb itself. Just make sure you label everything and remember where everything went.

Comment

One question: does it have a carb or central fuel injection? Just wondering, since most '84 cars came with 302s, which from 1983-on all came with some sort of fuel injection except on 5-speed Mustangs through 1985.
      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

he said carb and fuel injector treatment so I'm kinda confused

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
          he said carb and fuel injector treatment so I'm kinda confused
          I've noticed that many fuel injector cleaners are labeled as being for both carbs and fuel injectors, so I assumed he was referring to one of those.

Comment

was a treatment for both. yea i have a central fuel injection. but u tellin me thats normal for car to do??

Comment

Originally posted by 84 GRANDMA View Post
              but u tellin me thats normal for car to do??
              I hope not! Assuming no ignition trouble, potential causes for hesitation that come to mind include a clogged fuel filter or injector. On SEFI weirdness is sometimes caused by a bad idle-air-bypass valve, but I don't think you have one of those.

Comment

what should i try???????

Comment

I'd begin by checking for damaged vacuum lines and checking it for codes. Could be a lot of things, but making sure the vacuum lines are in good shape and the ECM isn't telling you about a specific problem would be a good place to start.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yea, definately go around and check ALL vacuum lines under that hood.
                    1984 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murphmobile (RIP)
                    1985 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murph Deuce (SOLD)
                    1978 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, The Crapiece (current project)

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                        I'd begin by checking for damaged vacuum lines and checking it for codes. Could be a lot of things, but making sure the vacuum lines are in good shape and the ECM isn't telling you about a specific problem would be a good place to start.
                        definetely do this and not only check for leaks check for squishy lines as well.. what happens is when under vacuum or throttle they collapse and cut off all vacuum.

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                        spam!!!!!!
                        Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

Also the CFI's are fine until they start screwing up... then the best thing to do is to junk them.... Which is what I am doing to my 84....

Agent Caitlin Todd… You know Tony, Statistics show that married men live longer…
                          Agent Tony DiNozzo… It only seems longer….

http://www.tomspolicecars.com/

Comment

Originally posted by cld783 View Post
                            spam!!!!!!
                            Stick it up your ass :p I'd like to see pics of this car.

84 Grandma, I would suggest to see if you get any codes from the computer.

Comment

CFI can run just fine. I've driven a perfectly running 85 Crown Vic with CFI so it definitely is possible. The secret is good vacuum lines, a proper tune up, and a good tight timing chain. As long as the wiring harness is good and the sensors are working as they should, usually they run fine.
                              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                              X