Carb swap...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb swap...

OK, after this paycheck, I will be caught up on bills, so I want to get the 84 running again...

SOOOO I want to do the carb swap, want to know what eveyone thinks about doing a 2 barrel conversion (with a Motorcraft 2150)

Go here to see the carb... http://home.earthlink.net/~bubbaf250...rb/carb01.html

Supposed to bolt right to the manifold on my car now, so no intake changes needed.. and the tv rod is supposed to hook right up with no mods... Sounds like other than the ignition change over, and the fuel pump changes.. a pretty easy mod...

Other thought is the four barrel 600 cfm Holley which I have, including the Ford kick down levers etc... (Set up for fords) Also a aluminum Mustang intake.

I want the car just to run good, with good idle, I donot need it to be a hotrod.. as it is mostly a showcar, not a street strip car. Any thoughts, let me know...

Oh also, I am going with the older duraspark ignition set up, so it will look as stock as possible... so no MSD here....

Tom...

Agent Caitlin Todd… You know Tony, Statistics show that married men live longer…
    Agent Tony DiNozzo… It only seems longer….

http://www.tomspolicecars.com/

If you get the right 2150 it does have the AOD levers. I think you need one for an 81 tbird or something. Dspark is good stuff, reliable and simple. If you tune the 2150 right and get the right jets, etc it should run just as well as the CFI does when it runs right. I'm assuming the CFI is giving you shit ?
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yes, it will not idle, one time you stop at a light, and it idles fine, next light it feels like it is running on 5 cylinders... Also falls flat on its face mid throttle... then BAM it takes off....

Agent Caitlin Todd… You know Tony, Statistics show that married men live longer…

Comment

Carb

"Other thought is the four barrel 600 cfm Holley which I have, including the Ford kick down levers etc... (Set up for fords) Also a aluminum Mustang intake."

This is the combo I used on the Colony Park for many years when it was a daily driver with great results. The small runners on that intake make for good throttle response, actually seemed improved over stock. The Duraspark dist. will work well with that carb as they both seem to enhance each other.

Remember that you will have to add a press. regulator to bring that fuel press. down to ~4psi. The closer to the carb the better.
        Speed cost....how fast u wanna go??

It's not how much hp u have...
        It's how much hp u can put to the track...

Let's seperate the men from the boys and put that power to the track using street tires and stock suspension components

'Tis infinately better to sit quietly and be thought a fool,
        than to speak and remove all doubt.

I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
          If you get the right 2150 it does have the AOD levers. I think you need one for an 81 tbird or something. Dspark is good stuff, reliable and simple. If you tune the 2150 right and get the right jets, etc it should run just as well as the CFI does when it runs right. I'm assuming the CFI is giving you shit ?
          Yep, 81 Tbird 2150 is the one you want to get.
          Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
          Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

same problem i have wit my 84. feel like she gonna give out when smash on gas then she will just take off.
            Last edited by 84 GRANDMA; 11-06-2007, 11:39 PM.

Comment

I have a friend with a 81 T-bird, that just rebuilt the engine, along with a new intake and four barrel etc.... I'm going by there on the way home to see if he still has his old carb... he would probably just give it to me if he still has it.... (Hopefully!)

Tom...

Comment

Not all '81 T-Birds came with AOD's. Heck, last one I looked at had a 200 six living under the bonnet. The 2150 for AOD's came on '80 and '82 models as well, depending on CA emissions, optional equipment (A/C), or if they had the high altitude package.
                1990 Country Squire - under restoration
                1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - daily beater

GMN Box Panther History
                Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

It would have to be a 302 powered Turd. I'm not sure if all of those were AOD cars or not, but I think the I6 was probably a C3 or something.
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

It was a V-8, with the AOD... but he has the two barrel still on it... I'm trying to convince him to do his carb swap, and give me his old carb.... I'll have to see what happens...

I may even trade him this four barrel intake and carb for it... just to get hime to switch it over... Since his carb runs awsome... I would just have to clean it up and put it on....

Comment

Sounds perfect then. Just need to work out what you're gonna do for a fuel system. Might have to use an electric carb type fuel pump if your motor doesn't have provisions to bolt up a mechanical.

Comment

Working...
                      X