Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

H.O. intake install ?

Hey mangs,

I recently recieved an H.O. intake with egr spacer and throttle body from a fellow mang here on GMN.

It must be my noob brain but i cant belive is it just a simple switch from stock intake to H.O. intake? just bolt on and go? is there any need to remove the coolent, de-pressurize the fuel line, ect?

I just need to remove the eletronic stuff that on the stock intake. remove the breather, vacum lines, and just swap it?

and if so, do any of you mang have any tips before i swap the intakes.

sorry for wasting your time for my nobbish question but any info would be greatly appreciated.
    Dave
    sigpic
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2681604 --- http://www.supermotors.net/17596

The Throttle Body you have, has the throttle lever been turned around so you can hook it up to your throttle cable and TV cable?

You might want to drain a little coolant since the EGR spacer has coolant in it (and the two lines going to it).

No need to mess with fuel lines unless you are fooling around with the lower intake or swapping injectors.

Make sure you label the vacuum lines before pulling everything apart. Also make sure that the mating surfaces between the lower and the upper intake are clean before installing the new intake and gasket. This would be an ideal time to replace the old vacuum lines and EGR cooler lines (they see the same psi as the rest of your cooling system), and make sure to replace the PCV screen while it's easy to get to (with the upper intake off) if you haven't recently.
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

The injectors and fuel lines are not touched. Take off the coolant and vacuum lines on the uppers, make sure you note where they went. Unnplug the connectors for the TPS and EGR, Pop off the thottle and TV cable linkages, unbolt the throttle cable bracket, take off the intake plate, take out the 6 bolts, lift off the upper intake. Swap the vacuum ports around on the HO, using the lopo ones if needed. Swap over the EGR spacer (hopefully you have a ported one and new gaskets) and the modified HO TB, and reinstall everything using a new or good gasket.
      Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
        The Throttle Body you have, has the throttle lever been turned around so you can hook it up to your throttle cable and TV cable?

You might want to drain a little coolant since the EGR spacer has coolant in it (and the two lines going to it).

Also make sure that the mating surfaces between the lower and the upper intake are clean before installing the new intake and gasket. This would be an ideal time to replace the old vacuum lines and EGR cooler lines (they see the same psi as the rest of your cooling system), and make sure to replace the PCV screen while it's easy to get to (with the upper intake off) if you haven't recently.
        i definatly will change the vacume lines and EGR cooler lines while i'm changing the intake. and by any chance do you know what diameter they are?

also what is the PCV screen? is it PCV valve? should i just replace teh pcv valve?

and mrltd, thanks the the info you provided!!
        Last edited by Rojas109; 10-31-2007, 04:47 PM.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rojas109 View Post
          i definatly will change the vacume lines and EGR cooler lines while i'm changing the intake. and by any chance do you know what diameter they are?
          I know the EGR Cooler hoses are 1/4in, as is the vacuum line to the MAP sensor. Seems like I used some 5/16in on the PCV valve and on the rest of the vacuum lines under the upper intake. Make sure you get good hose for the EGR cooler lines. I used rubber fuel hose to stand up the pressure.

also what is the PCV screen? is it PCV valve? should i just replace teh pcv valve?
          The PCV screen is a metal screen under the PCV valve. It gets stopped up with junk and causes problems. As a rule of thumb, always change the screen when you change the PCV valve
          1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
          1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
          Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
          Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

yea, it would be a good idea to change out that PCV screen when you have the upper intake off....it is possible to swap it out with the upper intake on, but it's a PITA.
            I was on top of my motor doing it.

it didn't want to come out easy...but you should get it out with a pair of NeedleNose pliers....dig into it and grab it if you have to, thats what I had to do.
            it looks like some steel wool in a little cylinder...about 1" long.

should only be a few bucks at an auto parts store...I believe they call it like a PCV breather element IIRC.

that HO intake shouldn't give you any trouble...it came directly off mine.
            sigpic
            1989 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

the PCV screen is the crankcase filter element or something along those lines.

also i installed it today, WOW what a difference! Thanks colin for the intake! and tiggie and mrltd for the tech help.
              sigpic

Comment

oh, got it on now? sweet! that was quick.

you're welcome....glad it's working good for you....makes throttle response a little better dont it?

was it pretty easy to do?
                sigpic
                1989 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Land Yacht View Post
                  oh, got it on now? sweet! that was quick.

you're welcome....glad it's working good for you....makes throttle response a little better dont it?

was it pretty easy to do?
                  well i tried last night but all i did was take off the stock upper intake, so i had at it again today after school. total time was about 41/2 hrs. ( note, that i dont have any mechanical experience, and i also changed my alternator too.)

and yeah it was pretty easy to do most of it, there some parts where i need an extra hand.

theres only one problem................. my check engine light is on and i dont have a scanner i'm going to buy one soon. and figure out what is wrong...

as i also need to buy another Plate, the one that says 5.0L Ford. i broke the one that was on the stock intake cause i stripped one of the bolts and i had no way of getting it out. also broke the small vacume canister thing, and broke the breather line that going from the head to the TB...
                  sigpic

Comment

Double check all the connectors and vacuum lines.Also make sure the TPS was installed properly

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd View Post
                      Double check all the connectors and vacuum lines.Also make sure the TPS was installed properly
                      I'm sorry but what is TPS?
                      sigpic

Comment

Throttle position sensor.

Comment

that would be the electrical thingy on top of the TB IIRC....the thingy on the side is the IAC(Idle Air Control valve)....might be a good idea to clean yor IAC as well...always help to keep idle smooth.

if the engine light still stays on..take it to a AutoZone/Murray's/Advance...they can scan the code for you for free...if needed.

I still have my plate for the intake if you really want it....I kinda sprayed it with some of the Alluminum paint...but if you need it, you can have it.
                          Last edited by Mr. Land Yacht; 11-02-2007, 07:02 PM.
                          sigpic
                          1989 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

also you might want to replace some of those vaccum lines now that your in there so I think they will most likley brake when you pull the vaccum lines off. you might want to change the valve cover gaskets if they are leaking. also do not use silcone vaccum lines they will brake easy

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
                            302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
                            k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

Gabe here speaks the truf.
                              sigpic
                              1989 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

Working...
                              X