No announcement yet.

Water pump replace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I replaced mine about 10 months ago. I used the pump that was on the engine from my last car (only had 250 miles on it). It was a reman from a Big A Auto Parts store (but it really isn't Big A; long story). It has been good. I did the rad/ belts/ hoses, etc at the same time. It really sucked to walk out into the pareking garage and see a puddle of antifreeze. The pump was dry, but a pressure test proved it was faulty.

Also, as a slight aside with reasonable relevance; what type of antifreeze is best to use? I always use the green (partly because its cheaper). My auto machinist says the green is best. He says the orange shit makes nastiness in the cooling prts.
    **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
    **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
    **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
    **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

big a went bankrupt......big a stores around here turned into napas after being no name stores for about a year

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnmania View Post
        big a went bankrupt......big a stores around here turned into napas after being no name stores for about a year

True. He goes by Big A even though they don't exist. I'm not sure where the parts come from; but everything I've ever bought has been good.

It also helps that he throws us a huge discount. I typically see at least a 30% discount; and he's a super nice FORD guy. He's really into FE Ford engines; has a few '68 Mustangs, and one of his employess has a 996 point BOSS 302.

I have no reason to buy pasrt anywhere else; unless its the Ford dealer where I get a huge discount.
        **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
        **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Finnished my pump install today realy nice to not see a pudle forming under it. A few issues the heater return hose and by-pas nipples were reversed. Big one were the smmall one was suspose to be was a pain getting that to work out. Painted it drilled and tapped for the bleeder yesterday. Could use some new belts but too low on cash if it wassnt getting so cold now would have not bought a pump at this point.
          Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post
            I replaced mine about 10 months ago. I used the pump that was on the engine from my last car (only had 250 miles on it). It was a reman from a Big A Auto Parts store (but it really isn't Big A; long story). It has been good. I did the rad/ belts/ hoses, etc at the same time. It really sucked to walk out into the pareking garage and see a puddle of antifreeze. The pump was dry, but a pressure test proved it was faulty.

Also, as a slight aside with reasonable relevance; what type of antifreeze is best to use? I always use the green (partly because its cheaper). My auto machinist says the green is best. He says the orange shit makes nastiness in the cooling prts.

dont mess with the orage (Dex-cool) it sludges up motors. My mom has a 96 Tahoe that came with dex cool. everything in the cooling system has had to be replaced. the tubes in the radiator were 75% clogged with the orange sludge
            http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
            http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

DexCool blows. Green stuff is where its at.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

dexcool is bad mkay

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

Comment

Well, new one is in, no leaks. 3 hours start to stop.

Paid 27 bucks for the pump, a Cardone for an 85 351 as Scott suggested, they didn't even want a core back .

Filled it with plain water, let it run for 30 minutes. Tommorrow I will drain and put 50/50 antifreeze in.

You have to take every darn thing off to get it out of there...
                  2000 Grand Marquis LS
                  2000 F150 XLT 6 inches of lift.
                  1987 Bill Blass Mark VII - Sold
                  1985 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park- SOLD. to a little old lady
                  Mercury Owners Group member
                  Save The Whales, Restore an Old Station Wagon!!

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnmania View Post
                    dexcool is bad mkay
                    Thats what I thought. My dad used it in everything, but I just bought the green stuff for the red box. Then our auto machinist said to avoid the orange stuff. Boy was my Dad pissed.

Comment

if you are worried about low toxidity......theres sierra antifreeze and prestone makes some too.......glad my cats are smart enough not to drink used antifreeze

Comment

Originally posted by 85MercPark View Post
                        Well, new one is in, no leaks. 3 hours start to stop.

Paid 27 bucks for the pump, a Cardone for an 85 351 as Scott suggested, they didn't even want a core back .

Filled it with plain water, let it run for 30 minutes. Tommorrow I will drain and put 50/50 antifreeze in.

You have to take every darn thing off to get it out of there...

fun, isn't it? I've done mine multiple times now so I know what you mean. I will definitely say this is one aspect of my Chevy that I absolutely love more than my Ford. 4 bolts to get the WP out, and nothing is attatched to i, unlike Ford or Chrysler where every single bracket on the motor hooks to the stupid pump.
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Was fun once I got going. No leaks today.
                          2000 Grand Marquis LS
                          2000 F150 XLT 6 inches of lift.
                          1987 Bill Blass Mark VII - Sold
                          1985 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park- SOLD. to a little old lady
                          Mercury Owners Group member
                          Save The Whales, Restore an Old Station Wagon!!

Comment

Originally posted by DuceAnAHalf View Post
                            dont mess with the orage (Dex-cool) it sludges up motors. My mom has a 96 Tahoe that came with dex cool. everything in the cooling system has had to be replaced. the tubes in the radiator were 75% clogged with the orange sludge
                            Fuck...no wonder my CTS is going out and my thermostat is sticky....ugh.
                            Nick
                            88 Colony Park LS
                            G-pa's old car, but he's cruisin around heaven in his 69 wagon now
                            Future plans:Semi HO conversion, or Explorer motor swap, shift kit, PI springs and sway bars, KYB-GR2 shocks

Comment

The green stuff seems to be the obvious winner and it's cost effective. My 01 Grand Am came with the orange stuff and my Dad replaced it with something called Evans Cooling. We went to the place (somewhere in PA I think) and it supposed to be low/zero pressure with this stuff and has other benefits also. I know you can easily squeeze all the hoses with the car at operating temp. Only thing is its a tad expensive (I still haven't replaced mine-3-4 yrs now) and you have to do a flush before. I have thought about trying it in the Merc but it's costly.
                              sigpic
                              1986 Grand Marquis LS 2 Door
                              Ext: Medium Shadow Blue Metallic, Int: Midnight Blue, 3.08 open, 235/70/15 Goodyear Aquatread III, Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo Shift Kit, 3G upgrade from 95 5.0 Mustang, Walker Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe, Viper 5900ST alarm, De-smogged, Rear Civ. Sway Bar, and more.

Comment

I'm not sure how the coolant could possibly be "low pressure". The basic laws of physics are that liquids don't compress, and they expand with heat. By that, the hoses should be hard like any other cooling system. If they're not, the radiator cap is probably shot. The pressure is actually an important factor in keeping the system from boiling over. Boiling point of liquids increases with pressure.

Comment

Working...
                                X