so what exactly does a dash pad do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

so what exactly does a dash pad do?

hello gentlemen, erick here again. i was cruising ebay and saw a few of these dash pads for our cars. now you guys may think im an idiot but with all the descriptions these sellers write for them, it confused me quite a bit. are they suppose to cover our presently cracked dash pads or do ours come off and these go in? the way these guys describe it, it seems that these pads just go ontop of ours and just stay there. mine is pretty messed up and im looking for a nice one to replace it with. so any thoughts or any of you guys already get these?

The thin plastic types go over what's currently cracked, you're supposed to pull the stock dash pad out, glue the plastic cover over it, then dye the plastic and put everything back in.

Comment

All they do is look pretty.....We drove vicky around many times without it......Although she's compleatly gutted and the cops stop us all the time wantin to ask questions.....But Anyway I'd get a new dash pad makes it easier to see out.
      YouTube. FaceBook Crown Vic Group

Comment

i see. i read on previous post that some of you guys have these on. you guys know who has em so i can check out theyre pics?

Comment

Here's two pictures of my dash with a glue on cover. I couldn't find any better ones. The cover has been on for years and now as a cracks above the clock and by the defroster but it's not bad in my book.
          Attached Files
          sigpic
          1986 Grand Marquis LS 2 Door
          Ext: Medium Shadow Blue Metallic, Int: Midnight Blue, 3.08 open, 235/70/15 Goodyear Aquatread III, Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo Shift Kit, 3G upgrade from 95 5.0 Mustang, Walker Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe, Viper 5900ST alarm, De-smogged, Rear Civ. Sway Bar, and more.

Comment

Originally posted by ltdcrwnvic View Post
            hello gentlemen, erick here again. i was cruising ebay and saw a few of these dash pads for our cars. now you guys may think im an idiot but with all the descriptions these sellers write for them, it confused me quite a bit. are they suppose to cover our presently cracked dash pads or do ours come off and these go in? the way these guys describe it, it seems that these pads just go ontop of ours and just stay there. mine is pretty messed up and im looking for a nice one to replace it with. so any thoughts or any of you guys already get these?
            What exactly does a Dash Pad do? Originally, it was intended as a safety device. Smacking your head on a hard, metal dash is not exactly the best way to remain healthy during a car accident, which was common during the earlier days of automobiles either not having any seatbelts, or just lap belts.
            Now, they aren't really needed, due to airbags and at least a 3-point seatbelt.

What else do they do? Why, they stop bullets, of course. An air-powered ram underneath the dash, pushing the dash up to completely block the windshield in case you are shot at from the front.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirate View Post
              What else do they do? Why, they stop bullets, of course. An air-powered ram underneath the dash, pushing the dash up to completely block the windshield in case you are shot at from the front.
              Cool, I hadn't thought of that application! Got pics of this system in use on one of your vehicles?
              2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

YouTube. FaceBook Crown Vic Group

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                  Cool, I hadn't thought of that application! Got pics of this system in use on one of your vehicles?
                  Not handy, no. The main problem I had was getting the dash pad to go back down after the gunfire had ceased, usually, the test driver had to stick his head out of the window to be able to see, which usually resulted in him getting shot anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirate View Post
                    Not handy, no. The main problem I had was getting the dash pad to go back down after the gunfire had ceased, usually, the test driver had to stick his head out of the window to be able to see, which usually resulted in him getting shot anyway.
                    Remind me to think twice if you ever offer me a job as a test driver!
                    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Working...
                    X