X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ecc

Engine Control Computer #e9zf-ca what is this
    from and can i use it in my 87 cv wagon

Looks like it's from an '89 Mustang GT: http://www.enginecontrolunits.com/ca...STANG/1991.htm

That'll work great in the wagon once you swap cams, rewire the distributor, upgrade to 19 lb/hr injectors, and install a MAF meter!

So how soon are you starting your HO conversion?
    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

over the winter dec or jan. rewire the distributor how would i do that and what maf meter would i use and what parts,part numbers would i look for thanks

Comment

Ideally you will need the program code from it. Its a 3 character code on the sticker. see http://fordfuelinjection.com/?p=17 for pics of the label and the program codes.

You also need the camshaft to go with it. Don't install that ecm without the matching cam, it won't run properly.

Once you swap the cam, you change the firing order to the one for an HO. Its different, but I'm feeling lazy so I'm not gonna look it up.

MAF should need to be one from an 89-93 Mustang, or I believe you can also use the larger 94-95 maf without issues as they have the same transfer function. I've also run a 95 4.6 v8 Tbird MAF on a stock 5.0 mass air motor and it ran just fine.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The HO applications use the 351W firing order, 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8, which is different than the old 302 firing order of 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8. Why they're different I'm not entirely sure, but the 351 order is said to be a little smoother and less stressful to the crankshaft. "Rewiring the distributor" in this case just means swapping the spark plug wires around to the new firing order - but like gadget says, don't do this without changing the camshaft! (unless you like parts breakage, that is. ) Factory cam part numbers intended for the '89-up application include E8ZE-6250-CA (88-90) and F1ZE-6250-AA (91-93). (source: http://www.jason.fletcher.net/tech/s...ons/specs2.htm)

For the '89 computer, you'll want a Mustang MAF meter. Recalibrated aftermarket meters will also work, as well as those from other Ford applications. I believe the main thing is that the electronics in the meter are matched to the injector size you'll be using - for example, a '93 Cobra meter would be calibrated for 24 lb/hr injectors, versus 19 lb/hour for a regular GT or 14 lb/hour for your stock low-po setup.

Upgrading the cylinder heads to the superior E7TE casting is considered ideal, but '86 Mustangs used the E6SE like our cars and produced power numbers similar to the later HO cars (see Fletcher link above). There's a decent HO-conversion guide here, or browse our tech archive and definitely keep asking questions!
          Last edited by 1987cp; 10-18-2007, 11:36 AM.
          2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

The MAF meters aren't so much calibrated to the injectors, as the ECM is calibrated to the MAF. I mean in theory, you could run a factory MAF for a car that had say 36 lb injectors in a vehicle with 19# units with the proper tune on the ECM. The only ones that are well known to match the expected calibration of a stock mass air Mustang ECM are the 88-93 MAF meters, or the 94-95 MAF meter. The Cobra ones are different. The Turd one we stuck on the Volvo seems to run just dandy, and its substantially larger than the stock 88-93 MAF. Those things are dinky inside, like 50mm or something crappy. The Turd MAF is like 65mm.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
            X