Exhaust options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhaust options

I just got the word from my mechanic, in regards to the inspection of the tudor. Everything safety-wise passed. But the exhaust was another story.

Both sides of the dual exhaust, everything behind the cats, has to be replaced. Everything has holes in it. Now my question is this, I cannot afford to have a custom 2.5" exhaust bent up for this thing right now. Does anyone make a decent cat-back kit for a tudor GM? Or am I stuck with ordering the stock replacement pipes/mufflers, all at wonderful 2" glory.

Thanks Mangs,
    The Admiral

Shorty headers of your choice
    2.5" Mustang H-pipe
    2.5" Mustang mid-pipes
    Pair of 2.5x~18" extension pipes
    Mufflers of your choice, 2.5" inlet/outlet, offset/offset
    2.5" '94-'95 Impala SS tailpipes
    Another pair of 2.5x~18" extension pipes
    Pair of 2.5" turndowns

The mufflers can be whatever length you want--you just adjust the length of the first set of extension pipes accordingly.

This will give you 2.5" exhaust front to back, though if your engine is stock (can't remember what the situation there is on your car), 2.5" might be a bit big. 2.25" might suit you better for a stock engine. You can get most of this stuff in 2.25" form (stock Mustang exhaust is 2.25"), the one exception being the Impy tails...you could use 2" tails instead, or have a set of tailpipes bent up custom--I know you were trying to avoid custom work because of the expense, but certainly having a pair of tailpipes made will be far cheaper than an entire exhaust system.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
    1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
    But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

WHat he said. There is no pre-made cat-back system, if you want off the shelf parts you end up using Mustang and Impala stuff, or you could have an exhaust shop bend you up an H pipe. Stock necks down to 2", but you should be able to have one done in 2 1/4", and use the Impy tails instead of the kinky 2" stock replacement ones that are more expensive anyway.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I have a 96 crown vic p71.....I bought 2 thrush glass packs today dont have enough money for flowmasters....This guy at an auto store told me the pipes are 2.25" so my glass packs are 2 1/4 inlet/outlet.....found out today my pipes are 2" how can i make these fit?

Comment

Originally posted by 96'vicp71 View Post
          I have a 96 crown vic p71.....I bought 2 thrush glass packs today dont have enough money for flowmasters....This guy at an auto store told me the pipes are 2.25" so my glass packs are 2 1/4 inlet/outlet.....found out today my pipes are 2" how can i make these fit?

Find someone with a welder.... you can weld in adapters....

Comment

Anyone who is afraid of 2 1/2" exhaust should just buy the factory replacement stuff instead of buying 2 1/4". Either you are going to go with an HO conversion or better or you are going to keep your engine stock..... make up your mind..

Comment

can i clamp on adapters....or is that going to be unsturdy and shake? or fall apart

Comment

You could try clamping

Comment

Originally posted by 96'vicp71 View Post
                  Return the glasspacks you just got, and order a pair in the correct 2" diameter - they do exist, I have them under my car. Adapters and clamps will run you about $20-25 and look like shit, just do it right for $5 in clamps.

Comment

The other thing with glasspacks, they're straight. The stock muffs are offset/offset, so you'll probably have a bit of a hard time getting things together under there without a welder. If you're really poor, you can pick up thrush turbos for about 20 bucks a piece at Advance. They sound decent and they're not a bad muffler.
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

If you want glasspacks, there's a glasspack replacement for the factory mufflers; that's what I'm running on my car. They're expensive for a glasspack (I paid 39 each) but they fit right in.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
                      1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
                      But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

I know this will sound totally lame, but maybe you should get the stock dual exhaust from NAPA or some place like that and save up for a larger exhaust when the time and money is right.

In retrospect, I should have gotten BBK Mustang shorties, H-Pipe w/cats, and the 2.5" 94-96 Impala cat back exhaust from Heartthrob Performance. Their pipes come close to the rear axle when they go over, but they don't touch (at least on my ma's CV). Plus you'll have some leftover piping to make the rear section back to the tails if your exhaust should rot out fast. You'll also have to make some special hangers for the h-pipe.

Packman

Comment

I'm running a Mustang X up front on mine, no hangers. The stock Mustang type hangers have been cut off. Only hangers on the whole system are at the back of the mufflers and the tails, which is what the factory has.

Comment

Originally posted by Mercracer View Post
                            Anyone who is afraid of 2 1/2" exhaust should just buy the factory replacement stuff instead of buying 2 1/4". Either you are going to go with an HO conversion or better or you are going to keep your engine stock..... make up your mind..

Thats pretty much what I went with. Im not ready to do any variation of the HO project at this point. I just want to get this thing running smooth so I can focus on the body and interior. I just went with the factory replacement for now.

Thanks for the advise y'all

The Admiral

Comment

Shorty headers of your choice
                              2.5" Mustang H-pipe
                              2.5" Mustang mid-pipes
                              Pair of 2.5x~18" extension pipes
                              Mufflers of your choice, 2.5" inlet/outlet, offset/offset
                              2.5" '94-'95 Impala SS tailpipes
                              Another pair of 2.5x~18" extension pipes
                              Pair of 2.5" turndowns
                              i want to replace the stock exhaust on my 89 4dr with duals. would i use the same setup just diff length extension pipes or what would i use to avoid having it custom made?

Comment

Working...
                              X