'86 Mustang block

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'86 Mustang block

What's the difference of a '86 mustang block? did 86's come with E7's ? I'd look it up but I'm at school and can't get anywhere. Heard about one for sale locally and I want to start the slow mild build for my '88
    Resident diesel addict

E7 means 87, i doubt an 86 would have had them
    http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
    http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

the block is ok, but the pistons arent good for anything more than the stock cam......they are flat tops....no valve reliefs

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Duce do you have a readers rides or something? I'd like to shoot for times close to yours. what have you done as far as weight reduction? if you wouldn't mind sharing what kind of Numbers are you making without the nitrous?

edit : nevermind found it.
        Last edited by FastGallopingPonies; 09-18-2007, 09:47 AM.
        Resident diesel addict

Comment

alright thanks Scott.
          Resident diesel addict

Comment

from what i understand the '86 5.0HO package shares a great deal of components with the SEFI lopo motors. Shame they didnt keep the setup around as an option or a replacement for the lopo since it uses the same heads

Comment

block, rods and crank are essentially the same for 85 up passenger car motors. 86 HO motors use a flat top piston with NO valve reliefs. 86 HO motors also use a E6SE heads, which are the same as the lopo heads and dont flow worth a damn. 86 HO cam is similar to the 87-89 cam but not quite as agressive.
              2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
              89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
              88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

dont the lopos also have the flat-top pistons without reliefs? if so sounds like if youve got the radiator out of the car it would be a good opportunity to change to the '86 ho cam(maybe without removing any body anels on a towncar, change the dizzy firing order and swap in the '86 ho speed density computer

Comment

people knock the e6 heads way to much, they arent great but they arent as bad as people believe. i've seen some pretty badass 86 ho stangs with stock heads and i've even seen a stock 86ho run vs a stock 89 ho, the 86 always pulled on the 89 out of the hole.

stock motor with e6 heads/flattops produce more compression and torque, most people hate them because they dont make the extra 5-10 hp on the dyno but due to the flattops you really have to be careful of piston to valve clearance when changing cams.

"The new heads for the 5.0L in '86 were the redesigned "high swirl" cylinder heads (E6SE casting type). 1987-1995 H.O. motors used truck casting wedge cylinder heads with larger ports and valves, ( casting # E7TE-AA ). They provided an approximate 15 hp increase over the S.O. (E6SE) heads. The S.O. 5.0 used the E6SE heads through '91, while the H.O. engine only used them in '86. The E6 Heads are known for provideing one of the broadest torque bands, especially from an engine with only a 3" stroke"
                  Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

Yeah, e6'd had more low end- that's it. The four eye cars also wieghed less.
                    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

its all about the right setup.

I wanna know what this guys packin.. lol that bitch sounds nasty http://youtube.com/watch?v=1veaear5b4M
                      Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by Spaz View Post
                        dont the lopos also have the flat-top pistons without reliefs? if so sounds like if youve got the radiator out of the car it would be a good opportunity to change to the '86 ho cam(maybe without removing any body anels on a towncar, change the dizzy firing order and swap in the '86 ho speed density computer
                        pistons are not the same between the 2. lopo pistons are cast flat tops with a slight dish in the center half of the piston.
                        86 pistons are true flat tops.
                        2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
                        89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
                        88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

Probably one of the best sites ever: http://www.jason.fletcher.net/tech/s...ons/specs2.htm

1990 Country Squire - under restoration
                          1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - daily beater

GMN Box Panther History
                          Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                          Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

The 86 HO cam had less duration on the exhaust side, but a more aggressive ramp, I've actually heard it argued that overall its slightly better than the later HO cam. I don't know how true this is, or really how much it would even matter. Its probably a fairly small difference either way.
                            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

+1 Great site, I've looked up lots of stuff there.

I don't remember offhand; does "Fletch" mention that the '86 true flattops are still forged, and that they're still good for performance use if you have the time to notch them for a bigger cam? Car Craft did spray their bone-stock '86 shortblock to 650hp (with AFR heads, etc.) after notching the pistons. No carnage whatsoever, even after shooting four-foot flames out the carburetor.
                              2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Working...
                              X