A New Plan for the CV.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A New Plan for the CV.

I think I will paint my ma's CV before I do the engine swap. This way I'll be ahead of the inevitable rot and have a little more time to prepare for the 331" engine swap. Here's what I am thinking. In the meantime I will get an HO engine from somewhere (probably a JY) and get it running. Then I will do the MAF swap with that HO engine. Instead of using the E7 heads (unless the HO engine that I get already has them) I will put the AFR 185 heads on there and swap them over to the 331" stroker when the time comes. This way I can tune and work out any kinks with the computer on a pretty much stock HO engine. What do you guys/gals think about this plan?

Packman

not a bad idea at all.
    I'd go for it.
    but I would like to hear from Scott and Dave(turbo) on this...
    sigpic
    1989 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

Probably a good idea, and probably what I should have done. Problem is, I can't justify making it look good without making it run just as well. But now I'm stuck with a rusty bondo bucket that's got no rear quarter panels and huge holes in the rockers.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
      1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
      But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

1987 and newer HO motors have e7 heads, you'd really need to shop about for a non-e7 head motor. Basically 1986 Mustang, Mark VII LSC and probaby the 87 LSC. AFR 185 might be a lot of head for a stock motor, probably the 165 would do you better. The 185 might be better for the 331 tho, depending on the cam. Not really sure to be fully honest.

Personally I don't see the point in 2 engine swaps. A stock used HO then to a properly built motor, seems like more work than its possibly worth. Myself, I'd start with the HO (or whatever, it won't honestly matter what block it is) build the motor the way you want, and stuff it in there in one shot. Less money and time involved that way.

As far as painting it now, well, it depends how bad it is. If its just starting to show signs of rust, you might as well catch it now before the car gets too bad. Even if you didn't go full out with the paint, I would at a minimum repair the rust damage and just spray over what bodywork is done so its not primer splotched. If you have the cashflow and time tho, you might as well do it all up right, that way you'll have a nice car when you're done with it. Especially if the current motor is in good shape, fix whats bad first, then upgrade whats not.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I originally wanted to do the engine swap first and replace the speed density computer with MAF and also do the 331" stroker at the same time. However, I began to think otherwise because I have a feeling and have been told that doing all of those changes at once will be complicated. Getting the new engine to run (I will be building it myself) and tuning the computer may be hard. Unless...........I install the stroker, trans, MAF, the other necessary crap, and have it towed to Valley Ford in Bellville, NJ (they tune high po Ford engines) to have them tune the MAF and break in the cam. I know this is backwards, but that could work. Though that might tie the car up for too long. I dunno..........I have some time to mull this over in my head.

Packman

Comment

Working...
          X