Dirt cheap and super simple electronic ignition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dirt cheap and super simple electronic ignition

I stumbled on this idea a few years ago but haven't had the chance to do more than toy with it. Lately I have noticed several people dicsussing the duraspark boxes. There is nothing wrong with them as far as I am concerned. However for those of us who are planning to switch to carbs, want to do so for at least few common reasons.
    #1 It is easier to build power and maintain.
    #2 It is quite a bit less expensive to build and maintain.
    #3 We want the engine compartment to be as neat and free of excess clutter as possible.

Why then should we install a relatively complex, clunky and slightly more expensive ignition module?

DISCLAIMER, I am not advocating that this mod is for everyone, but throwing it out there as another option, and explaining my reasons for doing so.

Ok here we go.

One of the simplest, cheapest, and arguably most durable ignition modules out there is the one for early 80's chrysler products. Let me start off by saying this isn't the best plan for a drag car or anything that is going to be turning 5500rpm+ on a regular basis, because the dwell on these isn't long enough for high rpm's. But it will work just fine for a mild performance build, and it's cheap too. Also these things will handle a pretty high current, so using them with a hotter coil is no problem. (within reason of course) I looked up the specs for the big power transistor mounted on the front of one once, and it was rated for around 16 amps continous iirc. That is a heck of a lot current for a coil.

They work fine with every distributor pickup coil I have had the chance to test them with. (ford included)

Here it is in all its glory... um ok, maybe not glory.

And a side view, btw this one is on ebay for $10

A wirning harness can be snagged from just about any late 70's -mid 80's crhysler/plymouth/dodge product at a junkyard. If you grab the ign module at the same time, make sure it is the model with 4 pins. The 5 pin model is ok too, but it takes a second ballast resistor to work right. If you buy the module new at vatozone just ask for one from an 83 dodge truck with a 318 v8. Vato zone has them new with a lifetime warranty for $23.00

Here is the wiring diagram

Doesn't get much simpler than this folks unless you want to use points.

Any questions? Comments? etc?

P.S. I can't take credit for dreaming this one up, I got it from www.gofastforless.com a few years ago. The site is small, but there is some pretty decent reading over there.
    Last edited by GoodSamaritan; 09-13-2007, 10:26 AM. Reason: just giving credit where credit is due
    Owner of the only known 5 speed box wagon with a lift kit.
    AKA, Herkimer the Hillbilly SUV.

Axle codes
    Open/Lock/Ratio #
    -----------------------
    G / H / 2.26
    B / C / 2.47
    8 / M / 2.73
    7 / - / 3.07
    Y / Z / 3.08
    4 / D / 3.42
    F / R / 3.45
    5 / E / 3.27
    6 / W / 3.73
    2 / K / 3.55
    A / - / 3.63
    J / - / 3.85

I'm pretty sure the small block Chrysler ignition is controlled by the computer that's mounted on the air cleaner...I can tell you that that was the case at least from '76 to '79, and at some point around the early 80's, they changed the computer to controlling both the ignition and the carburetor. This box you posted...I'm not really sure what it is.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
    1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
    But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

Thats a non-leanburn ignition module. The lean burn disaster controlled timing and everything else. Probably you'd find such a device on a truck since they didn't get lean burn. Notice the box in the pic says 1983 D150 Ram.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Oh, okay. Only Mopars I've dealt with were friggin' lean burns...

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

Yeah, this is most definately NOT the lean burn system.
          It is just an igniton module, it doesn't play with your timing, or anything else.

It's just a simple cheap way to get your car running with a maintenance free ignition system.

Axle codes
          Open/Lock/Ratio #
          -----------------------
          G / H / 2.26
          B / C / 2.47
          8 / M / 2.73
          7 / - / 3.07
          Y / Z / 3.08
          4 / D / 3.42
          F / R / 3.45
          5 / E / 3.27
          6 / W / 3.73
          2 / K / 3.55
          A / - / 3.63
          J / - / 3.85

Comment

Is there any advantage to this over Duraspark, or is it just another option? I'm willing to give it a shot when the time comes...just wondering what my best option is.

Comment

It's only advantage is that it is a bit cheaper iirc, and dead reliable. The hei modules have a reputation for crapping out on you.

The hei does handle higher rpms better though.

Axle codes
              Open/Lock/Ratio #
              -----------------------
              G / H / 2.26
              B / C / 2.47
              8 / M / 2.73
              7 / - / 3.07
              Y / Z / 3.08
              4 / D / 3.42
              F / R / 3.45
              5 / E / 3.27
              6 / W / 3.73
              2 / K / 3.55
              A / - / 3.63
              J / - / 3.85

Comment

adds a little mopar for reliability

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

wait so would that only work on 5.0's? the Capri V6 has points and its not a high rpm engine anyway it tops out at about 6.500 rpm
                  YouTube. FaceBook Crown Vic Group

Comment

It will also work with points. You just have to play with your timing a bit because it will fire when the points close, not when they open. I havent tried revving one up much, but I hear they don't have enough dwell to work very well above 5500 rpm You can cheat a little though by rigging up a switch to bypass the ballast resistor when you floor it. Otherwise they sell a performance version of the same module which works better with higher rpm.

The real upshot of using one of these with a set of points is twofold.
                    #1 you can run a hotter coil.
                    #2 your points should last for years at a time.

Take a look at the site I linked to above, click on "igniton" then electronic ignition.

Axle codes
                    Open/Lock/Ratio #
                    -----------------------
                    G / H / 2.26
                    B / C / 2.47
                    8 / M / 2.73
                    7 / - / 3.07
                    Y / Z / 3.08
                    4 / D / 3.42
                    F / R / 3.45
                    5 / E / 3.27
                    6 / W / 3.73
                    2 / K / 3.55
                    A / - / 3.63
                    J / - / 3.85

Comment

Doesn't a 2.9 distributor from a Bronco II work in a 2.8? That would be one option for an electronic pickup if needed.
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

2.8 ranger motors were duraspark

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

If you do not wish to use a Duraspark Ignition and do not wish to spend the money on an MSD, you can use a pertronix module in a points distributor or in a DII distributor and it will be dead reliable.....

Duraspark II Module $133 Summit PNX-9FO-182

Points Module $94 Summit PNX-FO-182

Comment

I used one of those in my Beetle, ran quite well.

Comment

Originally posted by Mercracer View Post
                              If you do not wish to use a Duraspark Ignition and do not wish to spend the money on an MSD ............

Duraspark II Module $133 Summit PNX-9FO-182

I don't know, that's getting close to as expensive as an MSD box! Seems the main advantage would be not having a bulky external module. Wouldn't the coil have to be wired just like on a points setup, as well?
                              2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Working...
                              X