Wtf, Random Troubles!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wtf, Random Troubles!

I dunno what's wrong with the LTD, yesterday I had trouble keeping it running, then I go out today and it is idling perfectly!? It is kind of pissing me off, because it has been doing this for about a month now, some days it will run like shit and then I start it later that day/night and it is running perfect. I dunno what could be causing this crap.

Something ignition related?
    -Matt
    1968 Fairlane 500 - 1998 Camaro Z/28

Comment

It's got a newer DuraSpark Box, brand new MotorCraft Plugs, Pickup Coil, Ignition Coil, uhhh newer distributor cap. Rotar is the only thing I can think of that I haven't ever changed on my ignition system.

Found one bad plug wire, got a fun little shock from it.

Fucking broke too, don't want to take it to shop and get raped either. :confused:

Comment

How did you replace the dizzy cap and not the rotor? Those usually come as a set...

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
        1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
        But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

I think I have an idea what's going on.

One of the things that you mentioned was time of day....Has your area had some moderate outside temperature fluctuations, such as 70 degrees one day, 100 degrees the next? I think the problem has to do with your gas you are using. A hell of a lot of gas stations across the USA are selling oxygenated fuel (with ethanol in it). What happens, is that on a hot day, especially with carbed vehicles running hot thermostats (195 degree OEM), the alcohol just starts boiling away, especially in traffic...and the car runs like shit. on a 70-degree day, or at night, it runs just fine.
          Since your car is carbed, I might consider switching to a 180-degree thermostat, or maybe even a 160 suring the summer months, to get it cooled off (keep in mind, this is an experiment, since I am not there to diagnose), and then put either a 180 or 195 back in during the winter, that way the heater still works well.
          Like I said this is a possibility, but a good one, as I have ran into this several times with this shitty fuel here in the Portland, Oregon area, and running it in carbed cars and trucks who also have 195-degree thermostats....only 4 stations statewide sell gas without the alcohol in it.

Comment

Couple theories. I live up N of Peoria and it's been hot as shhh one day then relatively cool the next. Also 100% humidity then relatively low humidity (50%ish).

My guess is that it is electrical. Go over every electrical connection, make sure it connects clean and tight, and use dieelectric grease to seal out moisture. Also make sure you use a consistent, decent quality fuel.
            2009 Ford Escape Manual (Hers)
            2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Lifted (His)
            1987 Mercury Grand Marquis (Was Grandpa's)
            1974 IH 100 4x4 (In Pieces)

Comment

Working...
            X