302 low voltage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

302 low voltage

I have an 82 LTD with a carbureted 302. New alternator and new external regulator. The car drives fine until I turn my head lights on. then the car sputters at 50% throttle or more. Moreover, the more voltage I use (A/C, wipers) the worse it gets. any suggestions??
    Vehicle: 1965 Pontiac Catalina (fastback 2+2)
    Chasis: 1982 Ford LTD Country Squire
    Drivetrain: 302 V8 carb, AOD, 8.8 with 3.08 gears.
    Big Brake swap and front suspension completed.
    sigpic

Check your voltage when you are having the problems.
    Check your battery cables and make sure all connections are good and clean. All connectors to the alternator should be clean as well.
    The next thing that comes to mind is a weak coil.
    1990 Country Squire - under restoration
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - daily beater

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Forgot to add, YAY another '82 LTD! Pictures Pictures Pictures!
      1990 Country Squire - under restoration
      1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - daily beater

GMN Box Panther History
      Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
      Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

I dont think the forum would like the pictures.
        sigpic

Comment

Oh, the coil and the ignition control are new.
          sigpic

Comment

Sounds offhand like excessive resistance in either the headlight circuit or the charging circuit, perhaps as simple as a corroded connector, perhaps as annoying as a large handful of badly chafed wires. There's got to be something in there putting excess load on the charging system when the lights are on.

Tiggie, I think it's highly unlikely, but do you know of any reason the Duraspark II module itself should be involved in these symptoms? Like maybe for some dumb reason there's only a normal system voltage drop going on but the module just isn't liking it?
            2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

make sure the altenator is charging.....should be at least 13 volts at idle.....could be a bad wire somewhere put the headlights on see what the voltage drops to

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
              2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
              1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
              1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
              2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
              1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Will check, Thank you. Oh, How do you think the forum would feel about a Pontiac / Ford LTD hybrid?
                sigpic

Comment

I second the alternator and battery cable idea. If there was that much of an excessive load from the lighting system, wouldn't a fuse give out?
                  Nick
                  88 Colony Park LS
                  G-pa's old car, but he's cruisin around heaven in his 69 wagon now
                  Future plans:Semi HO conversion, or Explorer motor swap, shift kit, PI springs and sway bars, KYB-GR2 shocks

Comment

Originally posted by 82LTDQS View Post
                    Will check, Thank you. Oh, How do you think the forum would feel about a Pontiac / Ford LTD hybrid?
                    That depends ..... what sort of Pontiac/LTD hybrid do you have in mind? I think one with a Buick turbo-6 would be awfully nifty, but if that were the plan I assume you would've said Buick.

Comment

I'd love it if it were a 389, 400, 421, or 455 w/ a TH400. Then again it would also be sweet with a BBF, 385 series or FE.
                      **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                      **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                      **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                      **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Post pictures and find out! I don't think anyone is going to flame you for it.

Comment

For some reason, I cant post a long reply with the car's info. I will keep this short and start a new thread. Thanks for the interest guys.
                          sigpic

Comment

I promise to get good pics loaded soon
                            sigpic

Comment

For some reason, I cant post a long reply with the car's info. I will keep this short and start a new thread. Thanks for the interest guys.
                              Is the server timing out your login? I had that happen to me constantly until Blaze86Vic told me to check the "Remember Me" box when signing in. Now I can stay logged in for as long as I want.

Comment

Working...
                              X