Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BASIC ENGINE MODS FOR 84 MARQUIS

got a 84 granny. lookin for simple engine mods
    Last edited by 84 GRANDMA; 08-22-2007, 04:30 PM.

Sweet, another VA dude.

With CFI, it is hard to do much with the engine. Shorty headers with dual exhaust system are a good start. 5.0 Mustang Shorty headers fit, but not equal lengths, mid-lengths, or long tubes.

I would suggest a 4-bbl carb or SEFI conversion. Carb being cheaper, SEFI getting better MPG and drivability.

Before you do anything, make sure your engine is in good health. Good oil pressure and compression are a must. If everything checks okay, you can proceed.

After you do one of the conversions, you can then proceed onto heads and cam and oodles of power.
    1990 Country Squire - under restoration
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - daily beater

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

If emissions are not a concern, then the most bang for the buck is a carb conversion. With an 84, the motor is a rock and probably worn out. You are better off saving up your cash until you can swap in a whole Explorer motor and doing the carb conversion then.

Comment

:stupid:

you dont wanna end up with the kind of rod knock my box has hehe
        GMNRadio DJ, Podcast Co-Host
        1984 Ford LTD Crown Victoria - Drag Car.
        99 Ranger 2.5 - Parts hauler and Pit truck.
        03 Mustang 3.8 Convertable - Head Gaskets fukered up
        95 S10 93 Accord

Comment

well no knockin sounds as of NOW. runs smooth at 130.000 miles. want 2 be able 2 turn the wheels whenever i want. not my daily driver yet. IM TRYIN 2 BUY THE 86VIC WIT ONLY 45K MILES.

Comment

/rick

Comment

Woooooah there grasshopper..... putting the cart before the horse......

Comment

those are simple mods.
                sorta
                of course, i didn't mention replacement of the fuel pump control ckt, fuel press filter, a bit of plumbing, a custom set of plug wires, rewireing the ignition ckt, and of course, invalidation of any 'smog' equipment.

gnite
                /rick

Comment

Buying new expensive parts for a worn out motor isn't the ticket.
                  We are recommending tossing the current motor to the curb and dropping in a "new" (used) Explorer motor first. Even then, it would be silly to buy a new Performer intake. They are almost free used and they are best used for towing, not rocking and rolling......
                  A Duraspark II setup is almost free and a used Holley or Edelbrock also...

Comment

Is it hard to wire in the GM style HEI??? Ford like to used alot of "external" stuff.
                    Vehicle: 1965 Pontiac Catalina (fastback 2+2)
                    Chasis: 1982 Ford LTD Country Squire
                    Drivetrain: 302 V8 carb, AOD, 8.8 with 3.08 gears.
                    Big Brake swap and front suspension completed.
                    sigpic

Comment

nope. just need a bit of solder, and some wahr, and some lugs, and some duct tape.......

actually, best way to do it is to get the connector and pigtails from one of them chebbys you find out on the side of the road in ky............
                      /rick

Comment

Need to be a little careful with the HEI....I have sold 3 of the Pertronix 302 HEI units, they all hit 14" air cleaners...

Comment

A bit bigger around than a Duraspark distributor cap, then?
                          2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Mostly its the height. GM caps are tall, plus the distributor sits up a bit higher to clear the thermostat and all that since the base of the distributor is a lot fatter than a D-spark one. If you notice, a Dspark dizzy has a cap adapter, the base itself is a smallish diameter points size one, then the adapter cap flares out to the electronic ignition size. Adapter + cap is still shorter than the GM's cap tho.
                            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                              If you notice, a Dspark dizzy has a cap adapter, the base itself is a smallish diameter points size one, then the adapter cap flares out to the electronic ignition size. Adapter + cap is still shorter than the GM's cap tho.
                              You know, I've gotten so used to the adapters on both Duraspark and TFI distributors that I hadn't even thought of that.
                              2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Working...
                              X