No announcement yet.

More Engine Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good luck paying the bill if you have someone else replace head gaskets! Last estimate I heard for doing head gaskets (though it was for a different vehicle) was $1500. And that's to do nothing except tear apart the top end, replace the head gaskets, and button it back up. No valvejob, no new valve seals, no nothing. On the other hand, you can get a cheap torque wrench from Harbor Freight for $20 and do the job yourself in the space of a few hours. Heck, at that rate even buying a $300 Snap-On torque wrench puts you money ahead. All it really takes is time and patience, and with labor rates being what they often are, I think it's usually worth it.
    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Humm, i see. :-/ arg. Well maybey ill just get the valve and intake's done hehe. vales are right there. And Ill study on what all has to be done on intake )
      People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

Comment

My old velle poped in the exhaust until I installed an H-pipe.
        2008 Mercury Grand Marquis GS Bone Stock

The modern definition of "racist" is "someone who is arguing with a Liberal".--updated Peter Brimelow quote.

Comment

Yeah, intake gaskets wouldn't be *quite* so bad to pay to have done. Last estimate I heard for that sort of job was about $300 (3 hours at $100/hour). Of course, it's also the easier job to do at home - even I managed about 3 hours on my last intake swap. Your call!

Comment

Did it ever occur to you to maybe do a block pressure test to see if it has sneezed a head gasket? In addition, the pop-can 'pop' sound is usually a lean-fuel condition causing backfires in the carb, with the 'pop/ping' noise you associate with the pop can being the backfire hitting the air cleaner lid. The usual suspect? Usually a fuel pump going south, or other restriction.

At this point, it needs to go to a competent mechanic, because the one theme here that has been completely neglected by you is the "Diagnosis Phase" of basic auto repair, where one runs various tests to try to determine the cause of vehicle ailments. This usually leads to the "Throw lots of f***ing parts at it, and hope it fixes itself" mode of auto repair. Following your current theory of auto repair, you are going to piss away a serious amount of money, and may not even fix the problem.
            Last edited by Guest; 08-20-2007, 12:31 PM.

Comment

did it ever occur that it might be running lean due to o2 sensors? unplug them and drive it to see how it does. tryin to think of other reasons, i will add more if i can think of any
              Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

New o2 sensor mang :P. BOSH hehe. Went that aproch about 9 months ago :P Good thinking though

Originally posted by 460 Panther View Post
                My old velle poped in the exhaust until I installed an H-pipe.

Humm, Now thats a thought. Thinking back on it. It didnt do that untill i got the Exhast done. And i have no H pipe. Then agine it could have been there and i woldent have knowen it?mmmm Dunno. It never felt like it but i sure woldent have been able to hear it.

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                Yeah, intake gaskets wouldn't be *quite* so bad to pay to have done. Last estimate I heard for that sort of job was about $300 (3 hours at $100/hour). Of course, it's also the easier job to do at home - even I managed about 3 hours on my last intake swap. Your call!
                hehe that sounds more around my price range

Originally posted by Pirate View Post
                Did it ever occur to you to maybe do a block pressure test to see if it has sneezed a head gasket? In addition, the pop-can 'pop' sound is usually a lean-fuel condition causing backfires in the carb, with the 'pop/ping' noise you associate with the pop can being the backfire hitting the air cleaner lid. The usual suspect? Usually a fuel pump going south, or other restriction.

At this point, it needs to go to a competent mechanic, because the one theme here that has been completely neglected by you is the "Diagnosis Phase" of basic auto repair, where one runs various tests to try to determine the cause of vehicle ailments. This usually leads to the "Throw lots of f***ing parts at it, and hope it fixes itself" mode of auto repair. Following your current theory of auto repair, you are going to piss away a serious amount of money, and may not even fix the problem.

And yet even more good points .

Now see i been thinking about this fuel pump. On the account that some times it's lode as hell and other times its quiet., I dont have a carb. i have CFI. But i still do have an air filter ) Now i know how to do the vacume test now. ( I think ) but whats this about a Block Test?????

Another new word for me is Componet Mechanic. But i have been tru the Dignoses phase to no avile. But i am hearing more and more thing's Which it could be hehe. And As far as the trowing the money away. EH the shits like 22 - 23 years old at least. It needs to be replaced. :P

Just as Scott mang told me when i got my car. Replace evreything. hehe. Hopefully he will be prode. Although. I havent actualy had to buy any high end parts yet... Such as Carbs/Trannys/Engine's... Although came close with A tranny and a Carb. ( Still thinking about the tranny.

Ok, so things to look for now are, Head Gasket's H pipes Vacume test. mmmm Fuel pump. And after that, Componet Mechanic. :P. To go over anything i may or may not have missed.

O, What type of fuel pumps do you mangs like, and where do you like to get them, And how many would a 85 have? I know ones gotta be in tank at least. But are there any other's i havent spooted?

Thanks agine Mang's
                Last edited by DarkKnight; 08-20-2007, 06:52 PM.
                People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

Comment

Originally posted by darkknight View Post
                  New o2 sensor mang :P. BOSH hehe. Went that aproch about 9 months ago :P Good thinking though

Humm, Now thats a thought. Thinking back on it. It didnt do that untill i got the Exhast done. And i have no H pipe. Then agine it could have been there and i woldent have knowen it?mmmm Dunno. It never felt like it but i sure woldent have been able to hear it.

hehe that sounds more around my price range

And yet even more good points .

Now see i been thinking about this fuel pump. On the account that some times it's lode as hell and other times its quiet., I dont have a carb. i have CFI. But i still do have an air filter ) Now i know how to do the vacume test now. ( I think ) but whats this about a Block Test?????

Another new word for me is Componet Mechanic. But i have been tru the Dignoses phase to no avile. But i am hearing more and more thing's Which it could be hehe. And As far as the trowing the money away. EH the shits like 22 - 23 years old at least. It needs to be replaced. :P

Just as Scott mang told me when i got my car. Replace evreything. hehe. Hopefully he will be prode. Although. I havent actualy had to buy any high end parts yet... Such as Carbs/Trannys/Engine's... Although came close with A tranny and a Carb. ( Still thinking about the tranny.

Ok, so things to look for now are, Head Gasket's H pipes Vacume test. mmmm Fuel pump. And after that, Componet Mechanic. :P. To go over anything i may or may not have missed.

O, What type of fuel pumps do you mangs like, and where do you like to get them, And how many would a 85 have? I know ones gotta be in tank at least. But are there any other's i havent spooted?

Thanks agine Mang's
                  That was "COMPETENT MECHANIC".

C-O-M-P-E-T-E-N-T.

Meaning, "HE IS QUALIFIED TO DO THE JOB".

I wish you luck, I can no longer assist in this venture, otherwise, I may say something incredibly nasty to you, which may piss off pretty much everyone here.

Good Luck.

Comment

I want to hear the nasty stuff :-/

Comment

I wouldn't be upset by it.

Good luck DK, I feel like you're going to need it.

Comment

Mr. Butt-Pirate? Tick people off? Never ......!

Comment

Originally posted by JumboFriendly View Post
                          I wouldn't be upset by it.

Good luck DK, I feel like you're going to need it.
                          Thanks mang. Ima do alot of Test before i start riping into it hehe. Ima study on exzactly how to do these test first \

Eh. Butt hole pirate, didnt upset me.. I am just curiouse of what he can say that i dont hear on a reg. daily basis that would make me Mad ^_^.... Along with evreyone else on the forums. Humm.

Only thing i can think of is he was wanting to say get a reall car, or some other smuck remark. Think he drives the badest thing out there himself..\

: Goes to see if he even has a readers ride page. :

Comment

Originally posted by darkknight View Post
                            Thanks mang. Ima do alot of Test before i start riping into it hehe. Ima study on exzactly how to do these test first \

Eh. Butt hole pirate, didnt upset me.. I am just curiouse of what he can say that i dont hear on a reg. daily basis that would make me Mad ^_^.... Along with evreyone else on the forums. Humm.

Only thing i can think of is he was wanting to say get a reall car, or some other smuck remark. Think he drives the badest thing out there himself..\

: Goes to see if he even has a readers ride page. :
                            You know, I was trying to avoid a confrontation in here, and also avoid putting a bunch of spam in here, as I have agreed to cease doing. If you have something to say, join me in the Battlefield, look for the "GearDead21" thread.

Otherwise, be quiet.

Comment

Working...
                            X