Engine Chirping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine Chirping

I'm assuming this sound is coming from a pulley.

The engine chirps, and the chirping sound gets a bit louder and faster as RPMs increase.

The engine didn't chirp before yesterday. We had a real bad rain storm and I was caught in it driving to the bank. And the car got hit with water from every angle, and there were many puddles that I had to drive through.

If it is indeed the pulley, should I replace it, or could it be because there's an excess amount of water caught in it somewhere?

All I know is...It's real annoying...

sigpic
    - 2004 Ford Thunderbird - 2006 Ford F150 XLT - 2018 Ford Explorer Limited - 1958 Mercury Medalist

Could just be one of your belts, moisture can cause a chirping noise.

Try spraying a light coat of penetrating oil on the belts while the engine is running.
    1987 LTD CROWN VICTORIA, 5.0 EFI, MAGNAFLOW DUAL EXH, RED LANDAU
    FRESH AOD, 3.27 OPEN DIFF, 57K MILES, B&M SHIFT KIT AND R134A A/C

Comment

belt or pulley. I swapped the tensioner bearing, and found it was the belt. LOL
      Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

feed the mouse
        Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

how old are the belts?

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

yeah try changing the belts i also changed my idler pully it was scramming

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
            302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
            k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

Change the belts, it's good to change those about once every year or two anyways.

Comment

When the belts get moisture they tend to make that noise. Also when the idler pully is not lubricated. I'd say change the belts or spray the underside with the belt spray.

Comment

Could be the smog pump...they like to make noises too

RIP Jason P Harril, we'll miss ya bro

'80 Town Coupé
                  '84 Towncar - Teh Cobra TC, 408w powered
                  '16 Ram 1500 CC Outdoorsman, Hemi/3.92/8sp 4x4

Comment

Hmm I never heard of them making noises except when they seize lol.

Comment

how does one change idler pulley? It's like riveted on the tensioner arm, and all the ones the parts store got require a bolt or something to hold them down?

Comment

No it isn't two bolts and it comes off the plate.

Comment

Yeah, I know tensioner arm is held to the big aluminum plate by 2 bolts, but once you remove them and pull the tensioner off you have a pulley and a steel arm with like 3 holes on it, how do you separate the pulley from that arm? There ain't no more bolts on it after it's off the engine, just the silly pulley.

Comment

Some are bolted to the plate, some are riveted. The riveted ones you just replace the whole works, plate and all. Have fun explaining that you need that, not just the pulley though.
                            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

You know, he just might have a large Blue Jay trapped under the hood somewhere, maybe stuck in the fan or something.

Hell, I would chirp more frequently if I were trapped in there, with some car owner revving the piss out of the engine, trying to make me go away...

Comment

Working...
                              X