engine trouble "knocking"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

engine trouble "knocking"

ok so i drove my new merc home from woodstock tonight 30 mins away, so it runs perfectly all the way home till i get about 10 mins from my house, then the engine light turns on and the check oil level light turns on, so i do, the oil is full, and the engine is still running quietly, then i get just around the corner from my house and the lifters all start clattering, so i pull into my driveway and check the oil and everything again its pefectly full, but thin, then i check the rad and its full, the coolent wasent boiling or anything and i could put my finger in it and it was hot but not very hot, so now im wondering if the thermosestate might be shot and mabie it overheated, beacuse she ran relly quite and smooth the whole way home till i got into town, im going to buy some new oil and filter to put into it tomorow and see if it clears up,, i may also buy a thermousestat, water pump is new

Originally posted by Dave84 View Post
    ok so i drove my new merc home from woodstock tonight 30 mins away, so it runs perfectly all the way home till i get about 10 mins from my house, then the engine light turns on and the check oil level light turns on, so i do, the oil is full, and the engine is still running quietly, then i get just around the corner from my house and the lifters all start clattering, so i pull into my driveway and check the oil and everything again its pefectly full, but thin, then i check the rad and its full, the coolent wasent boiling or anything and i could put my finger in it and it was hot but not very hot, so now im wondering if the thermosestate might be shot and mabie it overheated, beacuse she ran relly quite and smooth the whole way home till i got into town, im going to buy some new oil and filter to put into it tomorow and see if it clears up,, i may also buy a thermousestat, water pump is new
    You got another merc?

It sounds like a thermostat. Only 30 minutes away you said right? They aren't expensive. And an oil change wouldn't hurt either.

Comment

yep, and it wasent till i got in to town that she acted up,there is no temp light so i assume the engine light is the indicator for overheating as well as no oil p.s.i? i dont think the oil pump is shot or else it probley would have sized up before i got home, she needs some work but will look nice when its fixed up

Comment

Sounds like very dead bearings, engine got hot, lost what little oil pressure it had. Check it with a real gauge and see whats going on. Make sure you warm it up or you won't get a really useful reading. Don't be too surprised if it drops to near zero with the engine warmed up though.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by Dave84 View Post
          yep, and it wasent till i got in to town that she acted up,there is no temp light so i assume the engine light is the indicator for overheating as well as no oil p.s.i? i dont think the oil pump is shot or else it probley would have sized up before i got home, she needs some work but will look nice when its fixed up
          Yes the light is for either overheating or no oil pressure. Btw thanks for the pic!!!

Comment

so mabie the bearing's? event tho the engine had lots of power and ran quitely for the firts part of the trip? the guy who i baught it from has run sinthetic oil in it since he baught it years ago, well im going to change the oil this afternoon and see what happends,

Comment

ok changed the oil and everything seems ok now, the old oil was verry thin

Comment

did you put sinthetic back in

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
                302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
                k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

nope

Comment

I'd stick with conventional if I was you. I run 20-50 in the summer.
                    1987 LTD CROWN VICTORIA, 5.0 EFI, MAGNAFLOW DUAL EXH, RED LANDAU
                    FRESH AOD, 3.27 OPEN DIFF, 57K MILES, B&M SHIFT KIT AND R134A A/C

Comment

Good, glad to hear that everything's ok now.

Comment

Originally posted by 87vicFIVEO View Post
                        I'd stick with conventional if I was you. I run 20-50 in the summer.

Great for wearing everything at startup!

There is nothing wrong with running synthetic. I ran it in my 250K mile vic without any issues.
                        Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Working...
                        X