spark plug question "light brown diposit's"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

spark plug question "light brown diposit's"

ok, i have a missfire at idle, and when uts cold the car only runs on half the cylinders till it warms up, so i decided to pull the plugs and check em, and each and everyone of them had huge amounts of light brown deposits on them, somebody told me its time to do valve guide seals, would that be true?

on the upside i spent the rest of the afternoon detailing the engine compartment
    Before:

After

Looks like crap quality fuels, or lots of uneccesary additives. Light brown is what you want for coloration, but the deposits are usually junk in the fuel that won't burn. If you had oil control problems the plugs would be greasy and oily. You might be running slightly rich, but not too bad.

Might want to try 1 heat range hotter of a plug to see if it helps burn the crap off better, but I wouldn't get worried about valve seals just yet.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Hey Gadget, i hate to tread jack.. But umm, My spark plug color wasent on there.. Mine's fairly white, still just about silver... Whats that one mean? Or well Anyone hehe, not just Gadget
      People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

Comment

Originally posted by darkknight View Post
        Hey Gadget, i hate to tread jack.. But umm, My spark plug color wasent on there.. Mine's fairly white, still just about silver... Whats that one mean? Or well Anyone hehe, not just Gadget
        sort of a flat white is good. Should be a light tan or brown way down in the plug were the metal meets the porcilin had to see down in there. Should be no little black specks on the porcilin.
        Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

When was the last time the plugs were changed? They might just simply be overdue, Ford reccommends changing them every 48,000 kms under light usage such as no extensive idling or driving on gravel roads. I had a bad head gasket on an LTD a couple of years ago and the plugs on the side with the bad head gasket were like that...I used to have to pull them and clean them with a pocket knife every 2-3 weeks. Try a new set of plugs and see what happens. If they get like it again in a short time, then is time to look elsewhere for the problem.
          Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
          Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

they where changed just about a year ago

Comment

How much is the car driven? Did't you have a bunch of choke and carb tuning issues? I think they might just need replacing.

My damn car doesn't do anything to the plugs. No deposits at all...
              Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

the car is driven every day

Comment

Distance per year? 15K miles is a general replacement interval...
                  Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Working...
                  X