i need some help here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i need some help here

i just sent of my 302 block to the machine shop, going .030" over on it, and grinding and balancing the crank.
    now, i'm trying to build an everyday driver here, please keep that in mind.
    what cam selection should i go with? what would be a good cam that provides very smooth idle, to say... 5,000 rpm?? also, what ratio rocker arms? should the stock heads just be reused after a valve-job? should i stick with the stock intake? are the injectors going to need to be upgraded?
    any help is appreciated
    thanks,
    andrew

Only bore 30 over if you have to. You can bore it 10 or 20 over almost every time. 30 over is the general MAX that you bore it over.

Comment

I've seen guys bore them .040" over. Pretty sic
      -2004 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor - Daily Driver - 17" Bullitt's, 235/55/17 Goodyear Eagles, Ex-NH State Police, best 1/4 mile time; 15.3 @ 90 mph
      -1987 Crown Victoria 2-Door - Project - 90k miles, Summit chambered muffler, Sunpro gauges, parked since 2010, fate tbd

Comment

I'm doing the same... with the HO upgrade at the same time. For heads I am just freshening up the E7's, slightly decked. The machine shop talked me out of upgrading the rockers. Gonna buy some really nice heads next year instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Blaze86Vic View Post
          Only bore 30 over if you have to. You can bore it 10 or 20 over almost every time. 30 over is the general MAX that you bore it over.
          finding affordable 0.010 pistons is a crapshoot
          sealed power ran out of 0.020 coated skirt pistons....no idea when more available
          so 0.030 is the only affordable choice at the moment........forged pistons are a waste of money in my opinion......all the new motors i have built so far have had sealed power hypereutectic coated skirt pistons.

as far as cam choices go.......is this car speed density or mass air?
          i preder the ho or the explorer roller cam for driveability......but with maf, theres lots of choices.......check out the trick flow stage one cam!

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

With a good intake (like an explorer intake) set of heads (GT40 or better) and an HO cam with 1.7 RRs, you should have no problem pulling to 5K...
            1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
            Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

.030" over is the LEAST i would take off, it's time for this motor to get down to the fresh metal. the 302 block can still technically withhold on the cylinder walls after being bored .060"=.090" over

the car is MAF
              i was thinking a cobra intake? sounds like a good buy in jeg's for only like $350. TFS1 cam looks good, but can i get by with 19 lb/hr injectors on a mild cam, stock e7 re-surfaced/3 angle valve job heads, and upgraded intake? sounds good to me, but which ratio roller rockers to contain compression?

Comment

LMAO, .090 over? Yeah, if you want to be installing pistons in the water jackets. Most late-model roller blocks are only safe to .030, 0.040 maxed, if you don't believe me, get it sonic checked.
                1989 Town Car Cartier: 3G Alt. Upgrade, Mark VIII Electric Fan, Police Interceptor Suspension, 40-series Flows, loaded. HO+ Conversion: E7 heads, Cobra 1.7RR's, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, FMS "E" Camshaft, 4-hole 19lb/hr injectors, A9P ECM, 76mm C&L MAF, BBK CAI. 338,000Km, stock bottom-end.

Comment

sounds like with al the work you are doing it would be easier to swap in an exploder engine or a HO from a mustang.
                  Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

Originally posted by 50HO View Post
                    .030" over is the LEAST i would take off, it's time for this motor to get down to the fresh metal. the 302 block can still technically withhold on the cylinder walls after being bored .060"=.090" over

the car is MAF
                    i was thinking a cobra intake? sounds like a good buy in jeg's for only like $350. TFS1 cam looks good, but can i get by with 19 lb/hr injectors on a mild cam, stock e7 re-surfaced/3 angle valve job heads, and upgraded intake? sounds good to me, but which ratio roller rockers to contain compression?
                    even the Dart blocks and the like can only take .125
                    a 302s cylinder walls are only ~.250" from the factory. removing .090 is taking away nearly 1/3 its thickness
                    http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
                    http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

347 stroker motor = slightly more than .030" over, don't you think?

Comment

Originally posted by 50HO View Post
                        347 stroker motor = slightly more than .030" over, don't you think?
                        Ummmm, NO, it's the increased STROKE (hence the term STROKER) that increases the displacement, the small increase in bore size (typically just done to "clean up" the bores) causes a very small increase in displacement in comparison.
                        1989 Town Car Cartier: 3G Alt. Upgrade, Mark VIII Electric Fan, Police Interceptor Suspension, 40-series Flows, loaded. HO+ Conversion: E7 heads, Cobra 1.7RR's, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, FMS "E" Camshaft, 4-hole 19lb/hr injectors, A9P ECM, 76mm C&L MAF, BBK CAI. 338,000Km, stock bottom-end.

Comment

just do a stock rebuild. Stock cam, stock heads. Most roller blocks don't need much more than .020 if anything taken off.

Cobra intake is asking for trouble, lots of modding required. Unless you have a Mark 7 or a mustang. Look at the FAQ's for proven combo's.

Stock heads aren't worth working with, unless you are talking HO.

You have a stock Mass air vic? Neat..
                          Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Clay Smith Cams will custom make you a camshaft to ANY specs that you want.......thats what I am doin to my future Vic
                            -2004 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor - Daily Driver - 17" Bullitt's, 235/55/17 Goodyear Eagles, Ex-NH State Police, best 1/4 mile time; 15.3 @ 90 mph
                            -1987 Crown Victoria 2-Door - Project - 90k miles, Summit chambered muffler, Sunpro gauges, parked since 2010, fate tbd

Comment

Working...
                            X