No announcement yet.

Less power?!?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i've used autolite platinum, and autolite copper, to be honest i cant tell any difference. only plugs i ran in anything that didnt run for shit were bosch platimum. ran bad in my vw, ran bad in my s10. usually i stick to cheap copper plugs because i change them more often than absolutely neccesary anyway.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by turbo2256b View Post
      Jacobs eletronics ignition manual he stated somethig about not liking them for high output systems. The guys stuff is realy a bit better that like MSD. Have used some of his porducts. Not the best on customer service. But he did inventthe variable rate pacemaker he knows his electronics.
      True. But then of course, you see MSD stuff on the 8,000HP top fuel engines, the 2,000HP "Mountain Motor" engines, the Pro Mod motors......etc. Most race cars use MSD.............
      1989 Town Car Cartier: 3G Alt. Upgrade, Mark VIII Electric Fan, Police Interceptor Suspension, 40-series Flows, loaded. HO+ Conversion: E7 heads, Cobra 1.7RR's, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, FMS "E" Camshaft, 4-hole 19lb/hr injectors, A9P ECM, 76mm C&L MAF, BBK CAI. 338,000Km, stock bottom-end.

Comment

I want to see that Town Car in real life. I hope you can come on friday.

Comment

Originally posted by Grand_Marquis_GT View Post
          Eric is just in love with his stock stuff. I love MSD products, and the autolite platnums are good too...
          well, if it works, it works. Not all stock stuff is garbage. No need for fancy expensive ignition on a stock engine. It becomes important with higher compression and all, but a basically stock HO you might as well save the money. Same with the plugs, the platinum was designed for longevity. Platinum doesn't conduct as well as copper, so there really are no performance gains from platinum. It just lasts longer.
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Bingo Gadget! Platinum plugs advantages are:

1. They get REALLY hot on the tip, so they stay clean.
            2. They last twice as long (easily) as standard copper plugs.

They won't make more power or make the car run any better, but they are less prone to oil fouling and allow for longer plug change intervals.
            1989 Town Car Cartier: 3G Alt. Upgrade, Mark VIII Electric Fan, Police Interceptor Suspension, 40-series Flows, loaded. HO+ Conversion: E7 heads, Cobra 1.7RR's, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, FMS "E" Camshaft, 4-hole 19lb/hr injectors, A9P ECM, 76mm C&L MAF, BBK CAI. 338,000Km, stock bottom-end.

Comment

I will add that my experience with platinum plugs has only been with Bosch platinums. all 5 of the Ford EFI motors I put them in ran like crap, both power and mileage dropped. Never tried autolite platinums or delco platinums, chapion has recently come out with some, but I never liked chapion either.

as far as MSD goes, I guess you get what you pay for these days. this goes for most inexpensive items in the aftermarket. while I agree the most top fuel cars use MSD products, you really cant compare them to the 8.5mm wires you at the parts store for $49.95.

Personally I have seen more 6A and 6AL igintion boxes break in a short time or not work at all than I have seen ones that work.
              I have also seen 3 MSD coils emmit a bright flash and quit working, one coil exploded and left an oily gel all over the engine.

this is all, of course personal experience.
              2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
              89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
              88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

i tried botch plats in my beetle, ran like crap. replaced them with cheap bosch supers, which are a standard boring copper core plug, and it ran great again. My s10 had ping problems with them, probably due to the hotter electrodes. I've never had Champions run for shit in anything but an older Chrysler, so i didn't bother with them.

Comment

Originally posted by 88grandmarq View Post
                  I will add that my experience with platinum plugs has only been with Bosch platinums. all 5 of the Ford EFI motors I put them in ran like crap, both power and mileage dropped. Never tried autolite platinums or delco platinums, chapion has recently come out with some, but I never liked chapion either.

as far as MSD goes, I guess you get what you pay for these days. this goes for most inexpensive items in the aftermarket. while I agree the most top fuel cars use MSD products, you really cant compare them to the 8.5mm wires you at the parts store for $49.95.

Personally I have seen more 6A and 6AL igintion boxes break in a short time or not work at all than I have seen ones that work.
                  I have also seen 3 MSD coils emmit a bright flash and quit working, one coil exploded and left an oily gel all over the engine.

this is all, of course personal experience.

I use their expensive race wires, the "Super Conductors", which ARE the ones you see on the race cars, I wouldn't use cheap wires, no matter who makes them, as you touched on, you get what you pay for.

You primarily see the digital boxes on the race cars, unless it's like the Pro Stock cars or something, where some of them run the 6AL's.

I've had two Blaster TFI coils, one survived being smoked by my Optima when I wrote off the Mustang, but died about two years later (had a crack in it that I filled with epoxy) and the other is currently on the TC and has been problem-free.

It's crazy how people's experiences differ eh?

I actually had decent luck with the Bosch's about 10 years ago, and the +4's in my Explorer about 7 years ago. I'm running the NGK platinum ones in the TC right now.

Comment

beat a 2002 lexus es300 and a 2000 buick regal with the 3800 series II tonight, so yeah she's back up to the right horsepower :evil:
                    1989 Lincoln Town Car - "Anabelle" - Original block, .030 over with SpeedPro pistons, rods fitted with ARP hardware, FRPP +volume oil pump, GT-40 3bar heads, Crane 1.72 rockers, 89' Fox cam, 93' Cobra lower intake, Explorer upper and 65mm TB, 93' Lightning EGR spacer, K&N intake kit from a 4.0L Ranger, 19lb/hr injectors w/ 87 Mark VII ECM, cat/smog deletes, Big Brake conversion, 3.55 K-Code Trac-Lok/Disc brake rear axle, CVPI LCA's w/1" sway bar in rear, wagon front sway bar, BBK 2.5" off-road H-Pipe, Flowmaster super 40s, HPP wheels, 3G alternator w/LMR.com wiring kit, gear reduction starter conversion, Best 1/4 time: 16.0 @ 85mph.

Comment

Working...
                    X