General box upgrade questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

General box upgrade questions

I'm rebuilding my '88 Town Car and want a better rear end that will bolt right in. It must have disc brakes and trac-lok, and I'd like 3.55's, but I don't know how easy it will be to find a K code. I am flexible in the gearing department, depending on how easily I can find what I want and for how cheap. What other codes are there that have trac-lok and disc brakes that might be easier to find, and what year Panthers would I find them on?

What year Explorers had the intake that is very similar to a GT40 intake?

I'd like to do the 3G upgrade. Which vehicles can I get direct bolt-in/plug-in alternators from?

What vehicles can I get an electric fan from? I realize just about any 12v automotive fan will work, but I'd appreciate it if someone could point me in the direction of some fans that will fit my radiator and brackets the easiest, with the least modification required.

I've finally found a junkyard whose employees are actually helpful and am trying to take advantage of that fact as quickly as possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Well, i'm not 100% on this, but I think that some Explorer's had 3.73 rear ends, not sure on which years, maybe 96-98 which I think is when they came with the GT40 302's. And I know that you can get an electric fan from a Mark VIII.

And if my info is wrong, can someone else smarter help me out? I'd like to do a little learnin too.
    88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
    Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

3.73's are damn common in explorers...

All 5.0l explorers had the GT40 style intakes, only 96 early 97's had internal EGR.
      Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

92-97 panther rears will bolt right in......i have seen rear disc k codes

96 and early 97 exploders have the desireable intake

lots of articles on the 3ag swap.......it's an hr or less job

mk8 fan, cougar, thunderbird, taurus fans all work

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Tbird and taurus are a lot easier to find in the yard, damn near the same fan as the VIII too.

list of donor cars for the 3g alternator swap here: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...ght=alternator
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

What year T-Birds, Cougars, Mark VIIIs, and Tauruses have the ideal fan?

Comment

89-97 turds and cougars.......93-98 mk8..........90-95 tortise?

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
              2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
              1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
              1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
              2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
              1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

I think its any 3.8L taurus but I took one from a 3.0L car and I doubt its going to give me any trouble.
                -Matt
                1968 Fairlane 500 - 1998 Camaro Z/28

Comment

i pulled a taurus fan and it looked like a small piece o junk, nothing like the mk8 fan.... I musta pulled it out of an older one
                  Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                  'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                  sigpic
                  85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

The Taurus fan moves like 3,200CFM or something, that is the one for the 3.8, the one for the 3.0L is smaller.

The Mark VIII fan is by far the biggest fan that Ford ever used (and possibly anybody ever used) and move well over 4,000CFM running the high side.

I am running the Mark VIII fan on my TC, it's probably the best fit for the box rad, I literally just stuck it in the shroud clips on the bottom and poked some holes in the top for some tie-wraps and it mounts using all the stock stuff.

I'm running a Taurus SHO fan on my Mustang/Capri and it moves more air than the other Taurus fan, but is much harder to find, like finding a Mark VIII fan.

For a 3G, I used one out of a 95 Mustang, 130A. You can definitely wire it up in less than an hour as mentioned above.
                    1989 Town Car Cartier: 3G Alt. Upgrade, Mark VIII Electric Fan, Police Interceptor Suspension, 40-series Flows, loaded. HO+ Conversion: E7 heads, Cobra 1.7RR's, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, FMS "E" Camshaft, 4-hole 19lb/hr injectors, A9P ECM, 76mm C&L MAF, BBK CAI. 338,000Km, stock bottom-end.

Comment

Do any of those fans come with thermostats built in? Possibly adjustable ones?

Comment

Dear God no! They are all controlled by the ECM. You need to purchase a controller separately, I am using the Flexalite one with a relay, because they cannot handle the draw of the Mark VIII fan in pass-through configuration, it burns them out.
                        1989 Town Car Cartier: 3G Alt. Upgrade, Mark VIII Electric Fan, Police Interceptor Suspension, 40-series Flows, loaded. HO+ Conversion: E7 heads, Cobra 1.7RR's, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, FMS "E" Camshaft, 4-hole 19lb/hr injectors, A9P ECM, 76mm C&L MAF, BBK CAI. 338,000Km, stock bottom-end.

Comment

Isn't that what the ECT can be used for? Electric Fans? Cause the computer would then in turn send voltage to the fan to make it go?

Comment

The ECT is to tell the computer the engine temperature to control the fuel mixture. On cars with an e-fan, it will also play a role in turning the fan on or off, but those cars usually have a wire on the ECM thats for fan control. It doesn't come directly from the ECT, since its not a switch, it changes resistance with temperature. The Taurus actually has a stand alone fan controller, but it has inputs from the ECM, the VSS, and a few other things to determine when to kick the fan on.
                            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                            X