Dwonsides to high TV pressure?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dwonsides to high TV pressure?

I turned up the TV pressure on teh '82. Dunno how much since I don't have gauges.

I really like the way it shifts with it turned up. Combined with the shift kit it has, it makes for heavenly shifts. Second comes along at about 15 under really light throttle, third comes in at about 35. OD will come in at 50mph if you are barely on the throttle. Anything less than 50 and you have to let off the gas for OD.

It's nothing too extreme, but I just wonder if I am hurting anything. I don't want another fried AOD.
    1990 Country Squire - under restoration
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - daily beater

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Then you would love my tranny, because that's how it it shifts. I always let off for the 1-2 and 2-3 shift. And if I'm going to be cruising at 50mph I let off for 4th.

Comment

same here my new aod is great love the shift kit brian really builfs these things great

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
      302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
      k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

i need to bump mine up...it hits OD around 40mph at light throttle. i wanna get it up to 50 or 55 when it hits OD. when i get in traffic it doesnt downshift and likes to stay in the higher gears. i will see what happens when i readjust it. before i had the transmission rebuilt i had it set where i wanted it, but the transmission shop kicked it back.
        Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

not gonna hurt anything........mine is bumped up so it doesent slip wot btw the 1-2 shift......almost 200,000 mi on the trans.......mine wont shift into overdrive unless you let off the gas at 55-60

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

How do you turn up the TV pressure?? Is there a write up somewhere..
            People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

Comment

mine shifts pretty much exactly how yours does Tristan. I hate how mushy they are in stock form, in overdrive by 35 is bs.

DK: sticky at the top of the 5.0/5.8 tech area forum for how to adjust the tv cable.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Downsides?

Firmer gear changes (ie you notice them more).

That seems the only downside.
                Rob the Aussie
                Photos
                Founding (and only) member of the CLIPPer Club.
                (Continuous Lincoln ImProvement Program).

Car: '86 Lincoln Town Car
                Engine: 302 Windsor

Comment

I had my TV pressure on my merk set at pull pressure at WOT, it worked VERY well, and produced firm shifts...
                  1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                  Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

I actually had to turn my TV pressure down, as the car wanted to shift past my 5500 RPM rev limiter.

Comment

Usually the TV pressure doesn't have much to do with the govenor in the trans...

Comment

That's what I thought as well. My trans has a High-Rev Kit from Trans-Go and the instructions aren't clear on what it's governed to. I know it will go beyond 6k though. I don't trust my large diameter main bearing 351 past that point, so I don't think I'll ever find the upper limit. The 5.5k rev limit was set through the ignition, the Crane HI-6, which I love compared to my old archaic MSD 6AL.
                        Last edited by torquelover; 07-03-2007, 10:13 AM.

Comment

Ah the high-rev kit in the transgo HP kit, that's a diff story!

You don't like the 6AL? I love mine...

Comment

Originally posted by Grand_Marquis_GT View Post
                            Ah the high-rev kit in the transgo HP kit, that's a diff story!

You don't like the 6AL? I love mine...
                            The 6AL does it's job just fine. I chose the HI-6 instead of buying another 6AL due to this:
                            -Better low-end torque with the HI-6.
                            -Not having to carry around a bunch of ceramic coated resistors to change the rev limit is also a plus.
                            -Opening both cases up...it was like Atari vs Playstation 2 on the inside. The HI-6 was also cheaper at the time.

Comment

Atari vs. PS2? Interesting...

Comment

Working...
                              X