Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

new o2 sensors in, gas consumption WAY up???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new o2 sensors in, gas consumption WAY up???

dont know if many of you know, but ive been driving around without any o2 sensors or any cats for a long time now and i was doing pretty good. i decided to put in the o2 sensors to help me save on gas consumption. we put em in and now im wasting more gas than before, WAY more. i went through a 1/4 tank just yesterday and i only went to the store which is 6 blocks away. so what do you guys think is the problem now? wrong o2 sensors? vaccum leak somewhere? give the cpu some time to readjust to the sensors being back in play? any help is greatly appreciated gentlemen, its good to be back.

Perhaps. When i put a new TPS in, the computer didn't recognize it. It thought t was out of range. So what i did was I unplugged it, and let the car warm up a little, and I plugged it back in and it took over the idle from there. It might work the same for the o2 sensors, pending if there are codes. Do you get any codes?

Comment

actually i havent ran it through a diagnostics check. ill try that later when i get home. disconnect them, turn the car on to warm up and then plug em in. hopefully thats the answer cuz da gas prices and my cv drinking it up like its water is gonna be the death of me. lol.
      anything else you guys might think is the problem...?

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
        Perhaps. When i put a new TPS in, the computer didn't recognize it. It thought t was out of range. So what i did was I unplugged it, and let the car warm up a little, and I plugged it back in and it took over the idle from there. It might work the same for the o2 sensors, pending if there are codes. Do you get any codes?
        +1

Get that engine scanned for codes before you start messing with it. I don't know what year your car is exactly (I'm thinking 83 or 84), but the EGO (02 sensors) on my ma's CV are hard to get to; I hope this isn't the case for you.
        Packman

Comment

my cv is an '87. o2 sensors werent hard to get at all. went to checkers and they gave me several options that would fit my car. i picked the ones with longer wires b/c of my custom made h-pipe. so u'd recommend getting it scanned???

Comment

disconnect the negative battery cable, step on the brake pedal, then reconnect the battery and drive the car.
            also check the ground wires for the sensor harness. those are important for the heaters to work.

also check for vacuum leaks.
            2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
            89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
            88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

what would disconnecting the battery and stepping on the brake do???
              which ground wires? the ones on the harness leading up to the engine or the ones coming from the sensor? and heaters? what heaters are you talking about? im asking about the 02 sensors...

Comment

You need to reset the computer when you replace stuff. The computer has learned around the lack of O2 sensors and then you reintroduced them. Gotta reset it.
                Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

so dats how you reset the cpu? disconnecting the negative battery cable and stepping on the brake? now when i step on it do i step on it all da way down or pump it several times or just once all da way down and connect the cable back up.

Comment

Just push and hold for 30 seconds or so, then reconnect the battery.
                    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

thanx alot, imma try that as soon as i get off from work here. hopefully thats it cuz its killing my wallet lol

Comment

The purpose of stepping on the brakes it because when you do it would normaly activate the brake lights, so it drains all power out of the system.

Comment

Originally posted by ltdcrwnvic View Post
                          dont know if many of you know, but ive been driving around without any o2 sensors or any cats for a long time now and i was doing pretty good. i decided to put in the o2 sensors to help me save on gas consumption. we put em in and now im wasting more gas than before, WAY more. i went through a 1/4 tank just yesterday and i only went to the store which is 6 blocks away. so what do you guys think is the problem now? wrong o2 sensors? vaccum leak somewhere? give the cpu some time to readjust to the sensors being back in play? any help is greatly appreciated gentlemen, its good to be back.
                          1/4 tank in 6 blocks

how long are these blocks???

You'd be getting like 4 or 5 gallons per mile if that we're true!!!
                          1987 LTD CROWN VICTORIA, 5.0 EFI, MAGNAFLOW DUAL EXH, RED LANDAU
                          FRESH AOD, 3.27 OPEN DIFF, 57K MILES, B&M SHIFT KIT AND R134A A/C

Comment

Originally posted by 87vicFIVEO View Post
                            1/4 tank in 6 blocks

how long are these blocks???

You'd be getting like 4 or 5 gallons per mile if that we're true!!!
                            So? Like that's not unseen, I used to get that a week ago, and truck is a daily driver. Now with new exhaust and delayed secondaries and lower-vacuum power valves I'm up to like 10 or so

Comment

My friend's 67 under WOT and my Paxton 77 Nova probably get mpg in the single digits; you could actually watch the fuel guage move when I punched the throttle. Though, with a stock EFI 5.0L I can see that as being a disturbing thought. Hey ltdcrwnvic, were you able to fix your 02 issues?
                              Packman

Comment

Working...
                              X