What muffler you running??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1987cp
    See what you can learn about Walker PNs 21109 and 22393. If that's not quiet enough, neck down the very end of the tailpipes and install resonators such as PN 21122 or 21992.
    Does Walker make the Summit Turbo muffs?

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
    1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
    But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

It's quite possible they're made by Tenneco, since they're so similar to the Thrush Turbos and the Thrush brand is so closely associated with Dynomax. But either way, with $15 turbo mufflers, if you like 'em at all you're money ahead!
      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Well, I'm not as concerned with the sound as I am with the flow qualities. If they flow well, for that price, what's to argue with?

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

Pretty much my thoughts too. I did really like my Thrush Turbo IIs back when I still had my stock cats and stuff. I'm pretty sure most if not all tube-style mufflers will flow more or less the same. With the headers and aftermarket crossover pipes, things are a lot louder, which is why I started researching OE-type mufflers like the Cadillac replacements I mentioned above. They're tube-style mufflers that are supposed to outflow OE by a fair amount, and my power levels, they really, really shouldn't be any significant restriction.
          Last edited by 1987cp; 05-15-2007, 09:37 PM.

Comment

Dynomax Super Turbos, with a signature Johnnie Blaze decibel alteration.

Comment

Decibel alteration?

Comment

Somehow, that sounds to me like a fancy term for "holes".

Comment

No, there are no holes. If you take the tail pipe off, us a propane torch, and lightly braze the inside. It melts the surface of the glass packing at the exit of the muffler. The more heat the more noise. I'd say it's about 1.5 to 2 times louder than they were before my brazing.

Comment

So you just heated the guts with a torch?

Comment

I thought "brazing" referred to the process of depositing brass, aluminum, or silver to fasten two parts together, not incinerating Continuous Roving Fiberglass (TM) muffler packing.

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                        I thought "brazing" referred to the process of depositing brass, aluminum, or silver to fasten two parts together, not incinerating Continuous Roving Fiberglass (TM) muffler packing.

It does.

Comment

[Homer Simpson voice]Oh Mr. Fancy pants fiberfastner incineroviong OOOOHHHHH.....[/Homer Simpson voice]

So I tried to make up a word for the situation that sounded better than melt the muffler. lol

It doesn't take much, about a second or two. Stick it in the muffler and rotate it steadily so that you completely revolver in 1-2 seconds. That's it.

Comment

Originally posted by 88Vic View Post
                            I liked the way both of those cars sound Adam, I guess i'm part redneck, which would explain why I like BBQ, trucks, and Nascar so much.
                            Hell yeah, and it ain't nothing wrong with having yer truck 4ft in the air - y'all know, fat chicks can't jump, but they can crawl, so lifted truck >>> lowered car And yah, both of them exhaust sounded nice, and if I have the first sound i sure as hell ain't gonna pay some crazy bucks just to get the second.

Comment

But either way, with $15 turbo mufflers, if you like 'em at all you're money ahead!
                              Hey, I like mine, any cheap muffler which rumble pressure waves can set car alarms off without waking up the baby on the second floor are cool in my book!

Comment

Originally posted by Nathan in MN View Post
                                What do you think of those Summit Turbos flow-wise? I'm thinking when I build my Lincoln that I want it to be fairly quiet, but I certainly want something that'll flow decently.
                                They don't neck down a whole bunch inside, but I'm sure there are better.If you're running 2.5" pipe in and out of them, and the motor isn't anything really super radical, they're probably just fine. They're up to $20 now but its still a pretty good muffler for the price I think. They are visually extremely similar to Thrush turbos, probably the same muffler. The Thrush mufflers are usually in the $20-30 range, and you can get those at Advance, no handling charges. The Dynomax SuperTurbos probably flow a bit better though. If you want it real quiet, you can sneak short glasspacks behind the axle in that area between the frame and outside of the body. The glasspacks will act as a resonator and kill off more sound. The SuperLincoln has that setup with the Summit welded stainless mufflers, and its pretty quiet. The welded mufflers are marginally louder than my cheapies, or it could be the higher flow cats on the car. Hard to say for sure but in any case, it came out pretty quiet.
                                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                                X