Vacuums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vacuums

While chatting with a friend's dad...My car was brought up and it came to my airhorns and how I want a larger compressor and tank and all...

He said that cars around the 80s had vacuum lines that led to nowhere, and that I need to hook my horns to that.

Is there any vacuum hoses in my car that I may be able to hook the horns to? Sending 25 psi to them just doesn't make 'em loud enough.

sigpic
    - 2004 Ford Thunderbird - 2006 Ford F150 XLT - 2018 Ford Explorer Limited - 1958 Mercury Medalist

Uh, but the horns work off PRESSURE....Not Vacuum....

get a bigger compressor or put a small tank that you can keep charged up. I remember seeing setups like that on some train horn website.... They sold all the parts to put the train horns on cars.
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Yeah, okay, I thought that was a little weird.

I already know what I'm going to get. A small compressor and tank from Wolo that delivers up to 110 psi; instead of my direct drive 25 psi piece of crap.

sigpic
      - 2004 Ford Thunderbird - 2006 Ford F150 XLT - 2018 Ford Explorer Limited - 1958 Mercury Medalist

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarquis View Post
        While chatting with a friend's dad...My car was brought up and it came to my airhorns and how I want a larger compressor and tank and all...

He said that cars around the 80s had vacuum lines that led to nowhere, and that I need to hook my horns to that.

Is there any vacuum hoses in my car that I may be able to hook the horns to? Sending 25 psi to them just doesn't make 'em loud enough.
        there is a HUGE vaccuumm line atached to the throttle body, use that
        1987 LTD CROWN VICTORIA, 5.0 EFI, MAGNAFLOW DUAL EXH, RED LANDAU
        FRESH AOD, 3.27 OPEN DIFF, 57K MILES, B&M SHIFT KIT AND R134A A/C

Comment

j/k

Comment

yar, vacuum and pressure are exactly the opposite, and there are no "lines that go nowhere" on these (or really any) cars. Some 80s cars, especially ones with carbs, had a zillion lines that sooner or later would get disconnected from some "useless" part, and thus end up with a random line but EFI Fords dont really have all that many vaucum hoses.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

your friends dad is a moron. tell him we said to stay away from your panther.
              Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
              'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
              sigpic
              85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

those horns would relly "suck" then

Comment

:stupid:

BUT in theory it should work, like breathing (inhaling) through a harmonica

i mean airflow one way= airflow the other right???

kinda?

Comment

air horns work by vibrating a membrane though. it wouldn't work in the opposite direction. One could design one to operate on vacuum I guess but the way they work normally it would probably just suck the diaphragm flat and thats about it.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I said in THEORY mang

lol

Comment

Working...
                      X