Cleaning an EGR Valve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleaning an EGR Valve

The EGR vavle on my Thunderbird needs to be cleaned out/replaced. I was wondering if there were any tips or advice you guys had before I pulled it off. Is it even worth trying to clean? What takes carbon off well?
    This is on a 3.8L V-6 btw.

Moderators: If you feel this thread is placed inappropriately b/c it doesn't deal with Panthers or the SB V-8, feel free to move it to an appropriate forum.
    Nick
    88 Colony Park LS
    G-pa's old car, but he's cruisin around heaven in his 69 wagon now
    Future plans:Semi HO conversion, or Explorer motor swap, shift kit, PI springs and sway bars, KYB-GR2 shocks

carb cleaner, toothbrush
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Do NOT spray any cleaner or solvent into the valve itself as this will damaged the rubber diaphram that makes the pintle move back and forth. also note there is an O-ring that seals the position sensor to the EGR valve body. make sure its there and intact.

once the valve is off, use a vaccum hand pump and watch the pintle move back and forth. if it doesnt seat or correctly or binds while moving, replace it.
      2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
      89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
      88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

Emissions crap cause so many problems. Eric, you have any pics of cleaning a 5.0L EGR valve? I prolly need to do that on the wagon.
        1990 Country Squire - under restoration
        1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - daily beater

GMN Box Panther History
        Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
        Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

sorry, I dont have any pictures.
          2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
          89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
          88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

Working...
          X