Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

carb question

soo.... question...

i've been looking at carbs to swap onto the 351w from fordman which hopefully sometime soon the paypal issue gets worked out so i get the engine.

but anyway back on topic... i was looking at edelbrock carb/intake combos and i was trying to figure out which would be better to get? the single quad or the dual quad setup?

Gotta give more details...how are you building the engine up otherwise? Heads? Cam? Compression ratio? Stroker engine? Desired use (i.e., street or race)?

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
    1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
    But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

For a stock 351W a single 4bbl carb will be enough. Only a stroker or majorly modded 351 will need dual carbs.
      88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
      Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

i'm not completely sure what is going to be done yet. I'm definitely planning on a cam, the car is going to be street, occassionally taken to the track but it will not be a daily driver. I'm going to be going for the old-school muscle car feel and sound.

I want to try and get as much hp and torque out of this block as I can without blowing the bank. Definitely want to cam it, possibly bore and stroke

not sure about the compression ratio or the heads that are going to be going on it yet... any opinions on how that should be set up?

i'll be going for a pro-street like feel but won't be cutting the hood to stick a blower on top, but i love really lopey engines so thats what i'll be going for

Comment

"Really lopey engines"=very aggressive cam=no low end torque=slow Panther.

From what you're saying in general, it sounds like a single 4bbl will be fine. Two is way too much for anything but a seriously built engine given the number of cubes you're working with.

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

ok... when i was talking it over with fordman he kept referring to the carb as a 4v carb? what's the difference?

and any suggestions on performance parts for the engine would be awesome.

I was also looking into equal length headers into an H pipe to dual flowmasters... what companies make products for my application? I was looking into bbk but it seems like they only work with shorty headers for the mustang 302s?

EDIT: almost forgot.. i'm planning on 4.10 gears in the rear end

Comment

4V carb=4 bbl carb
              2V carb= 2 bbl carb

It's basically Ford's way of designating carbs as far as I know. I don't know of any other manufacturer that refers to them as "V".

Comment

4V=4bbl or 4 barrel carb
                *Edit* Nate beat me to it.
                As for exhaust, no one makes exhaust specifically for these cars, you kinda have to make it yourself. BBK unequal length headers to an offroad H-pipe(2.5" will work well since you plan to mod the engine) and Flowmaster mufflers(offset/offset) will work great with you car. You can have turndowns after the mufflers or you can get Impala SS over the axle tailpipes.
                Last edited by 88Vic; 04-25-2007, 07:09 PM.
                88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
                Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Definitely go single 4-bbl.

Dual quads are really needed on anything these days except for pro-stock and top fuel cars running 6's and under in the 1/4 mile. Dual quads look awesome, but they are expensive to buy and maintain.
                  1990 Country Squire - under restoration
                  1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - daily beater

GMN Box Panther History
                  Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                  Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

The 351 I am going to use came out of a mid 80's bronco and stock on that engine was a 600cfm carb so something that size or slightly larger should work with the engine and some mild mods well.
                    -Matt
                    1968 Fairlane 500 - 1998 Camaro Z/28

Comment

The 'v' actually stands for 'venturi'. It honestly makes a lot more sense describing a carb by how many venturi it has than barrels. Barrels are used to carry oil or make whiskey. What exactly they have to do with a carburetor is beyond me.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

yea, a sing 600cfm carb will do just great!
                        *CFM=Cubic Feet a Minute*
                        but I would look on forums and Ebay for a good used one.
                        I bought a Holley 4160 (600cfm, 4bbl, electric choke, vaccuum secondaries) for $70. and that came with the rebuild kit.
                        here's a few pics of it, in case you're curious:

and my Edelbrock Victor Jr Intake...it was recommended by Turbo(he and his buddy ported my Heads)

more pics of my parts waiting to go in here:
                        Last edited by Mr. Land Yacht; 04-26-2007, 11:26 AM.
                        sigpic
                        1989 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

does anyone here use barry grant products?

Comment

The carb on my 408w is a 784cfm Pro Systems unit. Custom 4150 built/tuned for my app.
                            Last edited by phayzer5; 04-26-2007, 02:29 PM.

RIP Jason P Harril, we'll miss ya bro

'80 Town Coupé
                            '84 Towncar - Teh Cobra TC, 408w powered
                            '16 Ram 1500 CC Outdoorsman, Hemi/3.92/8sp 4x4

Comment

hmm ok.. so the edelbrock intake/carb combo i was looking at would be more than what i would need... i was looking at this combo:

part: #20344

its an 800cfm carb

also has anyone done a cobra-like exhaust?.. meaning.. running the exhaust from the headers down the side of the car under the doors and out right before the rear tires?

Comment

Working...
                              X