Stroker Cams?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stroker Cams?????

Does anybody have any suggestions on a conservative performance cam for a 331" or a 347" 5.0L stroker? I am thinking about building a 331" stroker motor for the CV rather than a 306. I would think the stroker cam would be different from a 5.0L cam because the cylinder events (intake, compression, power, and exhaust strokes) last a little longer than a stock engine. I've seen one Comp Cams camshaft for a 347, but it is too radical for a two ton car. Though I have to think about this one because I am pretty far away from an engine build and my mom likes the gas mileage of the lopo.
    Packman

Go to cam manufacturer's websites and look around. Comp cams has cams specifically for strokers. The best way to go is a custom cam though...

Also you can look around corral.net and see what other people have run in thiers.
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Once a 302 is turned into a 347, I would think it isn't that much different in terms of cam preference than a 351W.
      1990 Country Squire - under restoration
      1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - daily beater

GMN Box Panther History
      Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
      Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

The bigger you go in displacement, the smaller the cam will seem to the engine

RIP Jason P Harril, we'll miss ya bro

'80 Town Coupé
        '84 Towncar - Teh Cobra TC, 408w powered
        '16 Ram 1500 CC Outdoorsman, Hemi/3.92/8sp 4x4

Comment

Contact Jay Allen of Camshaft Innovations, www.camshaftinnovations.com and he can hook you up with a custom that will do what you want it to do. He can also guide you in the right direction in terms of parts selection.
          1989 Town Car Cartier: 3G Alt. Upgrade, Mark VIII Electric Fan, Police Interceptor Suspension, 40-series Flows, loaded. HO+ Conversion: E7 heads, Cobra 1.7RR's, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, FMS "E" Camshaft, 4-hole 19lb/hr injectors, A9P ECM, 76mm C&L MAF, BBK CAI. 338,000Km, stock bottom-end.

Comment

Thanks for the leads guys/gals. I was leaning towards some sort of 351W cam, like in a Lightning or something. I am still stuck with the decision of either going stock displacement and decent fuel mileage with an HO cam or something with more cubes, more torque, and a conservative cam. Hopefully I can achieve a mpg that isn't too far below a stock displacement 5.0L. This is like a year or so into the future (unless fortune should smile upon me); I just like to have things sorted out before I make the leap.
            Packman

Comment

Originally posted by OVERKILL View Post
              Contact Jay Allen of Camshaft Innovations, www.camshaftinnovations.com and he can hook you up with a custom that will do what you want it to do. He can also guide you in the right direction in terms of parts selection.
              Hell yeah, I think come time to build a big block, i'm gonna give this guy a call
              1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
              Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Originally posted by Grand_Marquis_GT View Post
                Hell yeah, I think come time to build a big block, i'm gonna give this guy a call
                You aren't gonna like his suggestions.... LOL.
                Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd View Post
                  You aren't gonna like his suggestions.... LOL.
                  While I want the radical cam, the biggest thing I want is that agressive, rocky idle... which I have been told is from a long exhaust duration...

And shitloads of power
                  1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                  Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

While I want the radical cam, the biggest thing I want is that agressive, rocky idle... which I have been told is from a long exhaust duration...

And shitloads of power
                    Have you heard of the Thumpr Cams by Comp Cams? They supposily give you that rocky idle without affecting the low end as much as usual.

No big block one yet, though.
                    1990 Country Squire - under restoration
                    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - daily beater

GMN Box Panther History
                    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

And shitloads of power
                      Jay's done some cams for the 460 guys a few times. There's a guy over on 460ford.com running one of his camshafts in a pretty mild motor making absolutely wicked power numbers.

1989 Town Car Cartier: 3G Alt. Upgrade, Mark VIII Electric Fan, Police Interceptor Suspension, 40-series Flows, loaded. HO+ Conversion: E7 heads, Cobra 1.7RR's, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, FMS "E" Camshaft, 4-hole 19lb/hr injectors, A9P ECM, 76mm C&L MAF, BBK CAI. 338,000Km, stock bottom-end.

Comment

Working...
                      X