How hard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How hard?

Hey mang's i got's to think and was woundering how hard it might be to just take my old 302 cfi out engine and cfi stuff that is. and drop in a 302 EFI?\

Or if it be easer a 351 Carb?

Whats all needed for this? i know the engines usualy run for what around 3 - 600? anyways thanks for the info

O yea. One more question whille im at it Can someone tell me how to correctley put in a new fly wheel? I know i asked before but. I mean correctley as in how do you safley pull the trany back and what not?

Tools i can use for that is ramps. or ( I owen jack stands but i dont trust them for that much dern time ) Umm a air compressor. and some powertools...

I dont have a torq wrench though do i need one?

Thanks mang's :-D you dont half to answeer those in orde either. I just didnt want to make 2 treads :-P
    People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

To pull the flywheel (do you actually need one? they seldom go bad unless someone has ground the starter and chewed up the teeth), remove the starter, unbolt the transmission mount. Disconnect the cooler lines on the side of the trans. Unhook the shift and TV rods. Remove the driveshaft. Put a jack under the trans with a piece of wood. Pull the inspection cover, and remove the 4 torque converter nuts. You'll need to rotate the engine around to get to them all. Unbolt the 6 bellhouse bolts, and slide the trans back. If you want, you can just pull it out, unplug the speedometer cable and the reverse light harness. Lower the trans and get it out of the way. Flexplate itself has 5 bolts, and the plate only fits on there one way. I'd suggest using an air gun to pull the bolts unless you have some way to keep the motor from spinning.

EFI conversion would require an entire engine bay wiring harness from an EFI car, the EFI manifolds (or a whole engine, whichever), and probably an EVTM for both vehicles because there is bound to be a mystery wire or connector somewhere that needs to connect to something else. It can be done, its been done before to at least one Mark VI. Pulling the engine bay wiring harness on an EFI car is a lot less work than you might imagine it to be. Pretty much unplug a few things, and the whole thing just comes right out.
    Last edited by gadget73; 04-22-2007, 08:03 PM.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thanks Gadget Ima keep this for future refrance :-D So dont ding me in a mounth if by chance i bump it for easy accsses :-P ( Printer out of ink atm. )and one dumb question here is a evtm a electronic volt meter?

Id also go with the whole engine way instead of half assin it. And whille i had the newer engine out i had mightas well upgrade and rebuild it whille i was at it huh? a low buget rebuild that is..

The Fly wheel is yup u guessed it ground off teeth from when i was broke down on the side of the road. Panicing trying to get her to start. So i kept turning the igntion on and off after id hear the VVVVVVVVP. :-( Did damge i did to the torq converter/flywheel yes i did :-(

Thanks agine mang

D.K.
      People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

Comment

evtm = electrical vacuum troubleshooting manual.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Ahh. okdokie. I got one coming in the mail allready :-D

Comment

: bump : thinking about it. But at the moment i cant move my car. Would this be safe to do on my red dirt scott mang been telling me not to use a jack on?

Comment

Would this jack hold up the big AOD???

Comment

Yes, that'd more than handle the AOD, but I have no idea how you'd drag that jack through the dirt once it's on there. If you're gonna do an engine swap, you really need a good indoor place to work.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
                1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
                But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

Found the culprate of the flywheel...

FUC Auto Zone In there Big gay Head!...

( was the only thing i actualy bought from an auto zone. Before i herd all the horror storys. )

Whats worse is if you mang's rember when i was broke down on 231. I went back and exchanged that starter for this one. ( had a one year wareny. ) Well the dumb dumb that gave me the new starter forgot to punch it in the computer. So guess what. No renewed warenty. :-/

Tell me guys. do you think if i got me a gooden at Napa that shed be allright? Maybey still crank a few more times.?

Agine. FUC AUTO ZONE!

Comment

Ok, hehe. Went to advance. bought one paid the 10$s more for the lifetime warenty. And. So far so good hehe. And i still dont need a new flexplate so yay hehe.

Comment

Working...
                    X