No announcement yet.

88 Town Car random misfire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BTW Gadget, what part of the country do you live in? I feel like I owe you dinner, a case of beer etc for all the help this last decade or so....
    1984 Mercury Colony Park Wagon - 393 Dart block LS 91mm turbo with 4L80E and 9" 6.24@115 in the 1/8 mile (9's in the 1/4), 4650lbs w driver, AC, Drag n Drive rig 1300hp

1988 Lincoln Town Car - stock for now

Comment

I live in New Jersey
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

This was a strange one. Turns out the canister purge solenoid was stuck open and was creating a vacuum leak through the charcoal canister.... never had than happen before. Misfires are less with the EGR hooked up but not completely gone at low loads. Green line still have a small any of vacuum at idle. Still getting some pinging under load in 3rd and 4th gears. Tried some seafom, no luck, very little white smoke. Oh well.
        Last edited by drhill; 07-18-2024, 12:05 AM.
        1984 Mercury Colony Park Wagon - 393 Dart block LS 91mm turbo with 4L80E and 9" 6.24@115 in the 1/8 mile (9's in the 1/4), 4650lbs w driver, AC, Drag n Drive rig 1300hp

1988 Lincoln Town Car - stock for now

Comment

yeah that makes sense. Would certainly explain a lean mix too.

Never had that happen to me either though.
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I've had rusted out purge valve bleeding vacuum because of the holes in the body of the valve. That was a pretty simple fix. Replacing the vacuum line from the charcoal canister to the intake on that 88 MGM was a bit more of a pain though. Used fuel hose from the intake to a coupler just past the intake plenum since I didn't have more on hand. But the vacuum line from the canister to the valve and to the coupler were still okay when I sold it. Maybe not needed to use fuel hose, but it definitely prevents the hose from melting due to fuel vapors.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

The OE line is somewhat prone to that. If memory serves there is about a 1 foot chunk from under the intake to just outside the intake, then it splices to another part going to the valve. That section under the intake seems to turn to dust, same as the MAP sensor line. The hoses outside of that point seem to be a different material that age better.

Comment

It was a single piece from the manifold to the valve on mine. I changed it to the two segment when I changed it. And yeah... the stock lines turn to dust or tar or both.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

maybe its just spliced on mine then. I do vaguely recall having the hose get sliced by the AC belt, so maybe thats where the connector came from. Its been like that for so long that I don't entirely recall.

Comment

Working...
                  X