5.0 Idle issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Arquemann View Post
    Wut, that's a stud there? Mine has a bolt in that spot.
    Since you got some access now, can you double-nut the stud and thread it out the front?
    I wanna try it today I thought about doing it yesterday but forgot to

Comment

Double nut it and tighten it to break it loose to start cranking it out the back then remove the nuts and spin it out. I can't imagine someone going through the trouble to put a bolt in the back side of that and then nut down on the front when it's so much easier to just put the bolt in from the front. Good luck getting that bolt out.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Yeah, looking at the clutch face, the lower right bolt hole on my 91 with the Nippondenso compressor was also a stud. In earlier years with the FS6 compressor it was a bolt - I just took apart all that bracketry on an 87 in a junkyard and noticed that difference.

Current driver: the 91s
        Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
        | 88 TC | 91 GM
        Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 92 Jaaag | 05 Focus
        Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
        | Junkyards

Comment

what adapters and such are you using? If you're trying to do this with 1/4 drive sockets, thats not really up to the task. Mininum 3/8 drive stuff, and if its being stubborn just get out the 1/2" drive stuff/
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I tried to break one of the bolts on the bracket with an 3/8 to 1/4” and a 1/2” to 3/8, It stuck out just enough for me to turn it I used a 1/2” ratchet to try to break it. but I’m gonna try to get that last thread off on that compressor to make my job easier.
            Last edited by monotonorobo; 06-13-2024, 05:23 PM.

Comment

Don't use 1/4" drive for anything that actually is vaguely tight. Its not suitable. I'd also avoid using reducer adapters. Just use sockets that fit the drive. Much stronger.
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Tried the double nut method and it started to spin but I guess I somehow stripped one of the nuts. The stud uses 15mm nuts which I can’t seem to find anywhere. Any other recommendations on how to get this out? I’ve also been looking for other 15mm nuts on this car that I could use. And that nut seems to be the only one I could find, all the other ones on the brackets for the engine use like 14 or 13 .
                Also didn’t whip out the vice grips cause I don’t wanna strip the threads
                Last edited by monotonorobo; 06-16-2024, 05:00 PM.

Comment

All of the nuts on the studs sticking out of the water pump are SAE, not metric. The bolt going into the compressor is metric.

honestly I'd vise grip the thing out and replace it with a flange head bolt like most of these things use.

Comment

Bolts threading into the compressor are M10x1.5, surely those are readily available there?

I just got a new bolt for mine where you have the stud, someone had put one a bit too short in there. M10x50mm is a good length.
                    1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
                    2005 Volvo V70 Bi-Fuel

Comment

I might have to go a bit bigger than that. The one stud that’s stuck is a completely different size than all the rest. No other but from the compressor will fit that stud other than the one that was on there that I took off

Comment

its entirely possible someone put the wrong hardware in there. Its definitely supposed to be metric, and its the same size as the other mounting bolts on the compressor. If you need me to I can drag out one of my spare compressors to verify but M10 sounds right.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                          its entirely possible someone put the wrong hardware in there. Its definitely supposed to be metric, and its the same size as the other mounting bolts on the compressor. If you need me to I can drag out one of my spare compressors to verify but M10 sounds right.
                          Got that lil fucker out. Got tired of going back and forth so I went and bought 3 different ones and this is the only nut that worked. All the other nuts and bolts on the compressor are the same size except the one I struggled on. I’m so happy…
                          Attached Files

Comment

Didn’t do it yet because I’m waiting till my next day off, but when I put back on tensioner how tight is too tight and how loose is too loose? This is my first time dealing w a manual tensioner.

Comment

7/16 is basically M11. I'd wager someone forced the wrong bolt in there.

tighten until it feels right. There is probably some spec but I've always done it on a "yeah about there" sort of basis.

Comment

Belt tension should be about 1/4 to 1/2 inch flex on the longest run between pulleys IIRC.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
                                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                                X