No announcement yet.

5.0 Idle issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

air rachets have no torque. They are only useful for running long bolts in. Some extensions will get you in there without much bother. Its been an extremely long time since I had a stock air cleaner bracket in my way though. Last time I did some work in that area I went at it from underneath. Can always pull the oil filter for more clearance.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I think I’ll just try from the bottom again, also doesn’t help that the socket I have that fits it’s is 12 point.

Comment

Originally posted by monotonorobo View Post
        I think I’ll just try from the bottom again, also doesn’t help that the socket I have that fits it’s is 12 point.
        A 12-point isn't gonna work, sorry I forgot to mention. You'll need a 6-point or the special sensor socket.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2043_872x700.jpg?v=1650043027.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	1398007
        1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
        2005 Volvo V70 Bi-Fuel

Comment

Yeah I’m gonna grab a 6 point today, I figured that was part of the issue considering the sensor wasn’t a hex shape

Comment

Got it off from underneath. I’m gonna pressure wash the underside tomorrow and see if it still leaks. As of right now I’m still seeing drops but that’s because when I pulled it a stream of oil came out with it.

Comment

Originally posted by monotonorobo View Post
              Got it off from underneath. I’m gonna pressure wash the underside tomorrow and see if it still leaks. As of right now I’m still seeing drops but that’s because when I pulled it a stream of oil came out with it.
              Did you have to pull the oil filter to swap the sensor? I've forgotten how close it is to the filter.
              What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
              What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

Originally posted by friskyfrankie View Post

Did you have to pull the oil filter to swap the sensor? I've forgotten how close it is to the filter.
                It was pretty close to the sensor and I didn’t have to pull the filter. broke it loose from underneath with a 3/8 and an adapter for the 1 1/16. I just took the rest out by hand from the top.
                Last edited by monotonorobo; 06-06-2024, 10:15 AM.

Comment

Question since I’m still new to this, can any of you share the process that you did for filling the system with oil and refrigerant? I’ve been seeing a lot of people steer people wrong and I don’t wanna mess it up, just wanna make sure it aligns with my plan.

Comment

if the compressor is shipped with the proper oil... leave it and enjoy. If not, add 2-4 oz of oil to the compressor. Turn the compressor by hand to help move the oil through it to get the shipping oil out and after adding oil to it.

Then 2 oz to the evap where the orafice tube goes, 2 oz to the condenser, and 2 oz in the dryer if there's any left over. You only want 8 oz of oil in the system IIRC.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
                    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Thank you. Im using the old compressor so I’ll flush it out as much as I can. I’m gonna put 1.9 lbs of r134 in it since that’s closest to 85% of r12. I got everything I need now and I’ll start working on it Saturday morning

Comment

Oh yeah and it was the sensor that was leaking, no more puddles.

Comment

Alright, opened up the system today and got most of the oil out of the condenser, a good bit out of the evaporator, and I think I’m gonna have to replace the compressor maybe. About halfway through taking off hoses and stuff I started finding green O rings and I think the PO did a halfass retrofit job. The screws on top of the compressor are stripped so I have no way to access the ports underneath it, and no way to drain the oil. also had some black o rings left in the system
                          Last edited by monotonorobo; 06-08-2024, 07:32 PM.

Comment

Unless I can drain the oil from it by placing it on is back then I assume that I have some tedious work to do
                            i tried to extract it already and a lot of other things and I’m kinda pissed off because it brought me to a halt
                            Last edited by monotonorobo; 06-08-2024, 08:52 PM.

Comment

with the hoses off... flip over and turn by hand and that should expel the oil.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
                              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Thanks. I was gonna try this as well today but just wanted to make sure that it was a viable method

Comment

Working...
                                X