No announcement yet.

5.0 Idle issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If those bolts holding the manifold onto the compressor are stripped in the body of the compressor, pretty solid bet its going to leak from the O rings under there. They need to be clamped down properly.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I think he meant the heads are stripped.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Yeah it was the heads

Comment

ah, that makes more sense. Have seen things be gorilla tight into aluminum with bad results though. Doesn't take a whole lot to rip the threads out.
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I’m back out here today and trying to get the compressor off, got all bolts and nuts except for that one nut that sits towards the top of the compressor bracket on the pulley side. I don’t know how any of you have gotten it off.. I would be able to just pull the compressor but that thread for the nuts on the bottom right side is stopping me and I’m contemplating on cutting it off

Comment

I wouldn't cut it. IIRC, it's just really long and there's spacers to keep track of. You may need to take the radiator fan and shroud out for clearance. If it touches the radiator, you may need to take the top brackets off the radiator to lean it forward just a bit to get that last thread of clearance.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

I think I can get it now, I found my 1/4” to 3/8 adapter and I’ll try again tomorrow since it’s getting dark already. I would’ve had a much easier time did I could get the bracket that the smog pump is connected to but bolt that’s on the bracket is probably the tightest bolt I’ve ever tried to break.

Comment

Yeah... having the right length socket/extension really helps in that area.

Comment

Can't quite picture what you're having issues with. I just had all that off my car a week or so ago, none of it gave me any grief. I don't remember if I used a wrench or a socket on that top bolt but it was definitely nothing special. I think I used a 3/8 ratchet for every bolt on the front of the engine.

The one bolt on the smog pump is a long SOB, goes all the way through the smog pump, through a spacer, and into the engine block. Lots of spots for corrosion if thats what you're fooling with.

Comment

Yeah I couldn’t break the smog pump bolt loose yesterday and so I couldn’t get the bracket that covered the bolt off. I was able to break it loose today but it took all day to get it. I also had to move the ignition coil bracket out the way for space. Still can’t see it because of the picture but I can at least access it now. I tried to break it loose with a 3/8 and an adapter and snapped the adapter in the process. I’ll get a picture tomorrow and show u what I’m talking about before I take it out
                      Attached Files

Comment

You shouldn't need to remove the bracket to get the compressor off. I don't think you're trying to work on the correct bolt.

Comment

Maybe. I’ve never seen someone remove the whole bracket but I’ve also never seen someone with this thread stuck in the bottom to the bracket. Every bolt that holds the compressor to it is off, all 4 or 5 of em. When I was talking about cutting it off earlier, I meant the thread not the bracket. https://youtube.com/shorts/txtiI5VOE...KSgRE4y3oog7dT
                          Attached Files

Comment

Ah... so someone put the bolt in backwards. That's a real pisser. Can you not wiggle the compressor loose in the rear and just slide it back as you rotate it to slide it out? That is a horrible place for that. That tab on the compressor is actually threaded, so the bolt won't slide out.

Comment

Wut, that's a stud there? Mine has a bolt in that spot.
                              Since you got some access now, can you double-nut the stud and thread it out the front?
                              1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
                              2005 Volvo V70 Bi-Fuel

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                                Ah... so someone put the bolt in backwards. That's a real pisser. Can you not wiggle the compressor loose in the rear and just slide it back as you rotate it to slide it out? That is a horrible place for that. That tab on the compressor is actually threaded, so the bolt won't slide out.
                                Yeah I knew it was threaded..

Comment

Working...
                                X