Is my thermastat stuck open or closed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is my thermastat stuck open or closed?

Hey mangs I have a problem. Last saturday I installed a new radiator so when I bled the system when puting new coolent in it. the coolent system will not build pressure. the car is at normal operationg temp 200 F and it won't pressure so my first though it would be that the thermastat is stuck closed. but when I drive the car it does not overheat then I thought I could be stuck open.
    when I'm driving the temp guage goes from 187-215 it goes back and forth sometimes but will stay at 200. my question is do you think that there is still air in the system or the thermastat is stuck open or closed. I allready pressure tested the cap and the system there good. the weather has been in the teens around here so do you think that's why it's not overheating if the thermastat was stuck closed any info would help I really don't know what the problem is

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
    302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
    k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Your cap is what regulates the pressure. Go get a new 16psi cap, and have a good day! If the temp is fluctuating then that means the thermostat is opening and closing so it's working.

Comment

Might still be air in there. Keep coolant in the overflow bottle and top off the radiator as needed. I have one of those lever vent caps on mine, and I can burp the air out after getting it hot simply by lifting the lever. Bubbles come up in the overflow bottle, and as it cools, coolant is sucked back in. I've also seen some aftermarket radiators that the neck for the cap was formed slightly strange, and the stock cap doesn't seal quite right. Might need to replace the rad cap if you're using an old Motorcraft one.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I just got a new cap last year but Will get a new one i guess I also need to put a new hose for the overflow bottle

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
        302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
        k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

get the air out, replace the radiator cap, make sure there are no leaks

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Working...
          X