Whats better C4 C6 or AOD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whats better C4 C6 or AOD

looking in to trans looking for the best for acceleration but maintain highway drving
    sigpic
    1986 Crown Victoria 302 Cold Air,Mac Shorty headers, Full Dual Exhaust with Super Forty Flows, Wagon Suspension with a Full Sound System Replacement 1/4 time 17.486 @ 77.43mph

If you want to do any amount of highway, keep the AOD. That overdrive gear is a real life saver, allowing you to run plenty of axle ratio and still have it run slow on the highway. You don't get that with a C4 or C6.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
    1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
    But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

keep the AOD but get better internals on it. make it into a heavy duty AOD. that way it can be used both ways, for fun, and cruisin down the road.
      Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

keep the aod.....c4's were crap, and only 3 speeds....i have broken many lol......c6's are heavy and only have 3 speeds actually the aod is an overdrive version of the old ford fmx

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Keep the AOD, and convert it to a wideratio.

Comment

Originally posted by 87_crown_vic
            keep the AOD but get better internals on it. make it into a heavy duty AOD. that way it can be used both ways, for fun, and cruisin down the road.
            Where would I get these heavy duty AOD parts from?
            88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
            Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Originally posted by Blaze86Vic
              Keep the AOD, and convert it to a wideratio.
              I totally agree with that...it will make the car a whole lot faster.
              If I didn't have my trans rebuilt when I bought my car 2 1/2 years ago, I would do the Wide Ratio gears right now.
              sigpic
              1989 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnmania
                keep the aod.....c4's were crap, and only 3 speeds....i have broken many lol......c6's are heavy and only have 3 speeds actually the aod is an overdrive version of the old ford fmx
                Stock C4s are crap vs an AOD, however you are comparing 40 year old technology to 25 year old technology. But a C4 with its simpler design can be built to handle more power for less money and at less weight. Just like a Powerglide is a horrible choice for a street car transmission, but for all out racing, you cant beat it.

For a street car an AOD is the best choice. A C4 does not have a lock up function in 3rd gear so it kills your gas mileage, that coupled with no OD, really kills fuel efficiency
                http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
                http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

:-D

I could get one with my tax money.... buttttt i woldent have the engine for it yet.... Which will cost me the same as a newer car )
                  People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

Comment

AOD!!!

'90 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
                    Baseline 5.0L numbers totally stock, 123 rwhp, 239 rwtq
                    5.4L swap coming soon.

Comment

C4's are tough. I couldn't kill mine. Had it behind 5 different motors and it had well over 200K. Neutral drops, 55mph WOT into reverse all the time. The only C4 I had that was a POS was the one from performance automatic.

For what you want to do ,a wide ratio AOD is the way to go.
                      Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

C4+mods for a track car
                        c6 for trucks, especially stuff that doesn't see highway speeds normally.
                        AOD for a daily driver.

If you really want to get fancy and money is not a factor, use a 4R70w with a Baumanator stand alone shift controller. You'd need one from a 3.8 or 4.2L vehicle, or from a 5.0 Exploder. You get the wide ratio, all the upgrades that people move into the AOD, and complete adjustability of the shift points via the controller. Its a really slick setup, but its not cheap.
                        Last edited by gadget73; 02-09-2007, 02:09 AM.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                        X