how fast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gadget73
    I never realized the 351 in a Vic only made 5 ft/lb more torque. I knew they only made 20 more ponies. Thats sad that it only makes that little bit more power. Almost seems not worth the bother of even offering it as an engine, no serious benefit.
    The power/torque band was probably different as well. Had it been offered with 3.27s or 3.55 it would've been a rocket. Sorta.
    Nick
    88 Colony Park LS
    G-pa's old car, but he's cruisin around heaven in his 69 wagon now
    Future plans:Semi HO conversion, or Explorer motor swap, shift kit, PI springs and sway bars, KYB-GR2 shocks

Comment

Seems kinda odd that the horsepower and torque peaks for the 351W are at higher RPMs than the EFI 302 engine. I suppose that has to do with the way it's cammed. Mine doesn't really start to pull very hard below about 2500 RPM. And yet they put 2.73 rear gears in it.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
      1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
      But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

Probably for that high speed running. I guess the 351 cars were more used for highway patrol where you'd more likely need high speed vs off the line acceleration.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73
          Probably for that high speed running. I guess the 351 cars were more used for highway patrol where you'd more likely need high speed vs off the line acceleration.
          I'm sure you're right about that. The part I don't get is that mine was a city of St. Paul car, not a Highway Patrol car, and yet it got the 351 instead of a lopo 302. But I'm glad it did.

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

would have been nice if ford put efi on these 351 cv would have made them so much faster would have been an old school murader

Comment

Originally posted by xxslow50xx
              would have been nice if ford put efi on these 351 cv would have made them so much faster would have been an old school murader
              Yes, that would have been nice, but it would have required them to design a special manifold that was only used on those cars. They aren't going to put the money into designing and tooling on parts that aren't going to be used on very many vehicles.

Comment

Originally posted by Nathan in MN
                Seems kinda odd that the horsepower and torque peaks for the 351W are at higher RPMs than the EFI 302 engine. I suppose that has to do with the way it's cammed. Mine doesn't really start to pull very hard below about 2500 RPM. And yet they put 2.73 rear gears in it.
                Interesting...I would've assumed that the 351s would've had more low end grunt.
                Nick
                88 Colony Park LS
                Future plans:Semi HO conversion, or Explorer motor swap, shift kit, PI springs and sway bars, KYB-GR2 shocks

Comment

Originally posted by Nathan in MN
                  Yes, that would have been nice, but it would have required them to design a special manifold that was only used on those cars. They aren't going to put the money into designing and tooling on parts that aren't going to be used on very many vehicles.
                  That argument doesn't fly. The manifold already existed on the marine 351W motors. They produced the manifold for the Lightning which was a MUCH smaller production run than all of the 5.8 CV cop cars from 1986-1991.

Who cares that Ford never produced a EFI CV. Factory Ford parts exist to do the conversion for cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by 88MercWagon
                    Interesting...I would've assumed that the 351s would've had more low end grunt.
                    You'd think...but like Thain said, they're kinda made for high speed pursuit, not off-the-line performance. But when I build up my 351s, they're gonna have plenty of low end...they'll be cammed for it along with the cam being advanced 4 degrees. And of course, plenty of rear axle ratio. Both ought to have plenty of jump.

Comment

One other thing that I forgot that kind of shows what these cars are designed for, the passing gear in the CV is semi-orgasmic. Stand on it at 30 mph and it really feels good.

Comment

so would i be able to get the 351 lightning manafolds and computer harness i could fuel inject my crown? If any one would know of this conversion i would like to look in to something like that because i belive it would be cheper then the other way i was gonna do a fuel injection in my cv

Comment

Well, the Lightning manifolding *might* fit under the hood, but it isn't likely. You'd most likely have to add a hood scoop. If you don't mind doing that, go for it.

Comment

The Lightning uses a GT40 upper which is made from tube and is higher than the other factory GT40 styles. An Explorer/Cobra upper with a Lightning/GT40/boat lower would be a better bet. The lowest upper is the T-bird/SN95 upper. The throttle body faces the opposite way though so you would have to deal with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Mercracer
                              The Lightning uses a GT40 upper which is made from tube and is higher than the other factory GT40 styles. An Explorer/Cobra upper with a Lightning/GT40/boat lower would be a better bet. The lowest upper is the T-bird/SN95 upper. The throttle body faces the opposite way though so you would have to deal with that.
                              It's also got that funky angled adapter near the TB so reversing it's direction wouldn't be an option, unless the angled neck is removable.
                              Nick
                              88 Colony Park LS

Comment

Originally posted by 88MercWagon
                                It's also got that funky angled adapter near the TB so reversing it's direction wouldn't be an option, unless the angled neck is removable.
                                It's not an adapter. It is the plenum it self. It is much lower though. You can't use any taller of a valve cover. You can't even fit your hand between the plenum and the valve cover.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X