Things to Check/Replace?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Things to Check/Replace?

I am seriously considering putting my '87 CV LX back on the road for a winter beater.

The problem is I want to make it reliable as I drive mostly interstate and I don't want to break down in the middle of nowhere. The car isn't worth hauling home, yet I want to steal the short block from it for my '82 later this year.

Aside from plugs, wires, belts, hoses, PCV + screen, thermostat, what kinds of things should I look at/replace to make this thing stone cold reliable? Especially little eletrical things that can cause problems.

So far the list includes all those items mentioned above, tires, fluid changes in everything, a fuel pump relay, battery cables, a checkup on the brake system, and a heater core , and pray the ATC works!

I pulled the codes on it and got about 20... but it wasn't warmed up yet. It runs fine, I don't see how that much stuff could be wrong.
    1990 Country Squire - under restoration
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - daily beater

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

hey tiggie what tranny is in it now i know the orignal is in the 82 mabey a good car was

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
    302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
    k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

alternator plug!
      Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
      'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
      sigpic
      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

My '88 hasn't had an alt. plug since Scottfest '05.
        '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
        '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

Brake Lines? If it has been sittin outside, I'd make sure they are still good. I know mine went to shit from my car sitting.
          Resident diesel addict

Comment

Brakes definitely!!! I let my fathers spare F-350 sit unattended for five years before trying to move it; the brakes just siezed shut all the way around. However, that was a 1973 pickup with drums all around; I am not sure if discs will do that or not.
            Packman

Comment

Gabe, the tranny in there now is the one from the '82 without second gear. It works fine, I drove the '82 around for a year without second so I'm used to it.

The brake lines are new for the most part. I'm gonna check the hoses, wheel cylinders, and calipers to make sure they aren't frozen or anything.

I'll put the alternator plug on my list:

- Plugs
              - Wires
              - Distributor Cap
              - Rotor Button
              - Fuel Filter
              - PCV + screen
              - Rad + Heater Hoses
              - Belts
              - Thermostat
              - Muffler, probably tailpipe too since it's mashed
              - Left Ditch Light
              - Heater Core
              - Fuel Pump Relay
              - Battery Cables
              - Alternator Plug
              - 5 Tires (Already Have)
              - 2 Headlights
              - Rear Axle Fluid Change
              - Oil + Filter
              - front sway bar endlink bushings
              - Horn needs attention of some sort

I'll have to add this up. My college informed me today I'd have to pay an extra $500 to keep my room this semester (my roommate failed out last semester), or find some other guys to room with. Needless to say, that has stressed my budget a lot. I hate college.

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

Ouch this is gonna cost me another $300 from what I am seeing. All those $10 parts start adding up.

Considering the news that I gotta pay $500 to keep my room, I'm gonna keep getting the Ranger salty. I only have a two months of winter left anyway.
                The parts box shall rest some more.

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

yeah mang I dont think we are going to get that much winter action, nothing major anyway.
                  Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                  'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                  sigpic
                  85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Probably best to keep it around as a parts car for the 82' and beef up the ranger for snow duty. Better tires and some weight in the bed should go a long way.
                    -Matt
                    1968 Fairlane 500 - 1998 Camaro Z/28

Comment

Yeah I'll keep it around for now.

I sold my snow tires like a dumbass a couple years ago for $30. They were like new and even had the rims. Oh well. I got 160lbs of sand in the bed of the truck now and it's doing a little better (aka not getting stuck in a flat parking lot with 1in of snow).

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

Working...
                      X