upper intake question! {HO swap}

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

upper intake question! {HO swap}

so what differences will there be when im installing a mustang upper intake compared to stock? what will i have to do? help me out!

first secure a ho upper intake, a 60mm throttle body and a spare lopo egr spacer
    take the lopo egr spacer to a machine shop, have them bore it out to 63mm
    while you are waiting for the spacer, go get some gaskets, you need an upper plenum gasket (lopo and ho are the same) egr and iac gaskets (might be able to reuse the iac gasket....these are also the same as the ho stuff
    need a throttle body gasket and a egr spacer to upper plenum gasket for a 87-93 mustang or 88-92 mark7 lsc 5.0

ok got all your goodies, time to pull the lopo upper
    make sure to remember where the vac lines and wiring goes
    when you get the lower off, put it upsidown next to the ho upper......you need to swap over the vac tree from the lopo, and move some fittings around , use a little pipe dope or teflon tape on the fittings so it dont leak vacuum......also a great time to replace the pcv valve screen and gromnet while the upper is off.....i consider this a must
    once you get all the vac stuff swapped over, you need to make clearance so the ho upper clears the fuel rail, this can be done two ways......either get a 1/2" intake spacer, which is supposed to increase torque, or take a grinder and make a small notch in the upper intake so the lopo fuel rail clears the ho upper.
    before you are ready to bolt up the 60mm throttle body, you need to swap the levers between your lopo throttle body and the ho throttle body, this can be done by grinding the pressed shapt piece flat with the levers, and wiggling the levers off and swapping them, when you get the lopo lever on the ho throttle body have a tach weld done so it wont come apart or drill and tap a small hole in the shaft and use a screw and a washer
    bolt it all together, bypass the egr cooler hoses, you dont want coolant flowing thru the bored egr spacer, it may leak, noth worth the risk

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

shouldnt have to clearance anything on the upper intake. All 3 that I have installed went on with no problem, no grinding, no spacers.
      2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
      89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
      88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

alright sweet guys thanks alot! but what do u mean by bypassing the egr cooler hoses?

Comment

One of the hoses comes off the metal pipe on the passenger side. Just take that hose and connect it directly to the fitting on the lower intake. I'd use new hose for that, its just 1/4" fuel hose.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

okay and r u sure this conversion will work, i heard u need the mass air box or something electrical, some air sensor unit or something from a stang?????

Comment

No mass air box or anything. The stock vic/marq airbox wix connect to the HO throttle body just fine.
              Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Thats for doing a mass air conversion. Don't need that, and its actually not compatible with your car unless you find some rare parts from a 1991 California CV. Like he said, just hook the stock air box right to the new upper intake, or you can use an aftermarket cold air intake if you're so inclined.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

nope, ill keep it how it is, no cold air, just a question.

Comment

but i have seen some upper intakes on ebay with these four rods sticking out, but most of them dont have them, does it matter which i get, i dont even know what those 4 rods are, im guessing they connect to the air tube or somethin?

Comment

if they're the 4 rods I'm thinking of, then they are the studs that the EGR plate and throttle body slip into.
                      other than that, I can't think of anything else.
                      you're talking about the 4 studs sticking out the side of the intake? or something else?
                      sigpic
                      1989 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

Originally posted by merkman86
                        but i have seen some upper intakes on ebay with these four rods sticking out, but most of them dont have them, does it matter which i get, i dont even know what those 4 rods are, im guessing they connect to the air tube or somethin?
                        Yes, those are called "studs" as Mr. Land Yacht stated. It does not matter if the intake you get has them or not because you have 4 on your car right now. A pair of vice grips or pliers is all that is needed to remove/install them.
                        Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

alright, thanks alot fellas!

Comment

Working...
                          X