Speed limiter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speed limiter?

What's the speed limit of these babies? I posted it in this forum because I heard from someone that it was 5.0 specific. My car is an 88 Grand Marq. I got the needle in the center of the odometer when it started cutting out.
    1988 Mercury Grand Marquis
    Brakestand machine.

Stock and until you have about 400HP and improved aerodynamics, about 115.
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

heh heh
      1988 Mercury Grand Marquis
      Brakestand machine.

Comment

That's around where S.U. topped out at with the 3.55's and H.O. 5.0.

Comment

I've had mine there before and it didn't cut out.
          '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
          '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

YOUZ GUYS DRIVE TOO FAST!
            Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
            'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
            sigpic
            85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

My CV one just bounces around off the trip reset button, the faster you go, the faster it bounces off. I've only did it a few times at about 3 in the morning.
              1990 Country Squire - under restoration
              1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - daily beater

GMN Box Panther History
              Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
              Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Nice pic with the speedo slammed lol.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Fastest ive had the 85 is about 105 or so. The 97 ive had on the limiter at 134 indicated about 131~132 actual.

(all on a closed course)
                  http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
                  http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

I had someone following me in a older benz before and everyone in the car claimed I was doing about 125 and still pulling away from them. I don't believe it though. Maybe 110-115. It was slightly downhill with a full HO and 3.08 gears.
                    -Matt
                    1968 Fairlane 500 - 1998 Camaro Z/28

Comment

It took quite a while but supposedly i hit 125 in bbub, right along side a 2000 civic si. i had no clue but that is what he told me.

Comment

Originally posted by nitroracer
                        I had someone following me in a older benz before and everyone in the car claimed I was doing about 125 and still pulling away from them. I don't believe it though. Maybe 110-115. It was slightly downhill with a full HO and 3.08 gears.

Those older Benz's run liked raped apes if your ridin' the right on. I drove a '72 280SE 4.5. Fuel Injected, overhead cam V8, factory cassette (not 8-trac, cassette, and they are rare), sunroof, leather, bucket seats, floor shift, 4-wheel disc brakes. Mmmm I almost got addicted to it. And Bank Vaught Doors, too. The speedo went to 160mph, and I'm sure it'd do at least 130 of that. It had marks on the speedo factory telling you the fastest you could go in the first two gears. First was at like 60, second was 90ish I think.
                        1990 Country Squire - under restoration
                        1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - daily beater

GMN Box Panther History
                        Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                        Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

I had the old Versailles speedo (which is similar to the marquis speedo) wound back around to 40...Was hanging with a Formula 350 T/A and a FD RX7.... I slowed down when I realized how fast i was going...
                          Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

No, this was a ratty 80's diesel benz, but it did leave quite a trail of smoke for cover lol.
                            -Matt
                            1968 Fairlane 500 - 1998 Camaro Z/28

Comment

I've been to 115, and had plenty left in her :evil:
                              1989 Lincoln Town Car - "Anabelle" - Original block, .030 over with SpeedPro pistons, rods fitted with ARP hardware, FRPP +volume oil pump, GT-40 3bar heads, Crane 1.72 rockers, 89' Fox cam, 93' Cobra lower intake, Explorer upper and 65mm TB, 93' Lightning EGR spacer, K&N intake kit from a 4.0L Ranger, 19lb/hr injectors w/ 87 Mark VII ECM, cat/smog deletes, Big Brake conversion, 3.55 K-Code Trac-Lok/Disc brake rear axle, CVPI LCA's w/1" sway bar in rear, wagon front sway bar, BBK 2.5" off-road H-Pipe, Flowmaster super 40s, HPP wheels, 3G alternator w/LMR.com wiring kit, gear reduction starter conversion, Best 1/4 time: 16.0 @ 85mph.

Comment

Working...
                              X